Chapter 16

It had been a week since Leah and I decided to remain as a couple. I was ecstatic that she forgave me even though I had been horrible towards her. After explaining everything it seemed to make more sense. That is probably why she was able to forgive me. It had also been a week since we became an intimate couple. It was not my first time, but it was a new experience for me. Not only was Leah an exorcist, but she was someone I truly loved. I had never experienced anything like that before.

Looking back, it had also been a week since I realized Leah's secret. The reason why she was going deaf and the reason she kept her true essence hidden. Leah was probably one of the strongest exorcists I had ever encountered in the centuries I had roamed the earth. But that was it. She was too strong. Every time she used her powers her body was damaged in return. When she was seven, she helped her parents banish a mid-level demon. Upon doing that her hearing was devastated after days of a horrible fever. I could not blame her for wanting to keep to herself. It was literally a life and death situation. But that was also the reason why she never believed she had long to live. Her parents constantly pushed for her to become an exorcist even knowing the situation.

How could I not get mad hearing that? Her parents were selfish enough to cause her pain just because of the amount of power she had. I would never let anything happen to Leah. I promised to protect her for the rest of her life. She would never have to use her exorcist powers as long as I was around. This was something I promised myself the moment I realized what had happened. Neither one of us brought up what had transpired since that day. I assumed it upset Leah and she just wanted to continue to ignore it. I was happy that she showed me who she really was, even if it meant finding out her secret.

I would be lying if I pretended it did not bother me. The very idea of Leah dying set my heart into turmoil. I knew it would eventually happen, but I was hoping it would be from old age. I would hate to see her life taken prematurely because of the power within her. Still I could not figure out why it happened that way. I could not recall anything like this before. I almost debated asking Liam, but he rarely ventured into the human world with me knowing. I also did not trust leaving Leah in this world alone again. From my understanding, there were several demons finding their way into this town during my three-week absence. It was to be expected. It had been such a long time since I returned to the demon realm. They probably assumed I was gone for good. But during that time did she have to use her power? I could only hope that she did not. I would be horrified if I realized I caused any of her ailments. She was too precious to me.

Instead of worry about it, Leah and I spent our days looking into potential colleges even if neither of us planned to go. We also spent a lot of our time at the library and hanging out downtown. I was not as worried about running into Lucas as I was when we were still in school. I knew he would be away, probably training to become a stronger exorcist. To my relief Kirstin seemed to have follow him. The only other person left from that cliché was Kayden. But I was not necessarily worried about him. It seemed that he was rooting for me and Leah from the beginning. Although I would never fully trust the half demon, I knew he meant no harm even when he threatened me.

"So have you decided whether or not you are going to tell your parents about us... or even me in general?" My voice was calm as we walked beside the quiet stream. It was rather hot, but the shade from the trees seemed to help cool it down.

Leah shrugged her shoulders before throwing a pebble at the water, "I'm not too sure. I know my brother flipped out when he found out we were friends. I don't know how they will react if they realize I decided to be with you." She paused, "I really think they want me to become an exorcist. Even if it kills me, they would prefer that more than anything."