Chapter One

My name is Sophie Dare. I'm 18 years old and live with my grandma and golden retriever. I've never had a boyfriend or experienced love towards anyone but my grandma, best friend and dog.
The year is 2032 and many things have changed over the years. A horrible plague swept over the entire world wiping out about half of the entire population in 2026. Two years later, after mostly recovering, the government created a law called the Marriage Law.
The law basically breaks up couples and forces people to marry one another and have a child within a time span of two years at the age of 18.

So basically I have one more day until I'm forced to marry a man I don't know and have kids with him. Honestly I don't know if my life could get any worse.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Sophie! Breakfast is ready!" My grandma, Cassie Jones, shouted from downstairs.

I sat up in my twin sized bed and stretched. My golden retriever Daisy barked excitedly from her dog bed at the edge of my bed.

"Hey Daisy dog." I rubbed her belly as she barked happily.

"Lets go get some food," I said.

Daisy followed me as I exited my room and walked towards the kitchen.

"Good morning daredevil," my grandma  said as she handed me a plate full of scrambled eggs and bacon.

I loved that nickname, she gave it to me when I was eight years old. We had gone to a park located a few minutes from our small house and I had climbed up to the tippy top of the play-set and jumped off. I ended up breaking my left arm and my right ankle.

"This is wonderful grandma," I said with a mouthful of eggs.

She smiled at me and smiled and began to pour two cups of orange juice.

"What are you planning to do today?" She asked me.

"I don't really know," I shrugged as I took another bite of bacon.

Grandma smiled and handed me the orange juice, which I gladly gulped down.

"Well take this cash, go enjoy yourself," She told me.

I took the cash that she held in her hands and gave her a quick hug.

"Thanks grandma," I said as I walked back into my room.

Daisy barked, drawing my attention towards her.

"What do you want?" I laughed, "bacon?"

Daisy wagged her tail and jumped up towards me knocking me over. Her warm tongue licked my face causing me to laugh.

"Daisy," I laughed, "I will get you some bacon calm down!"

At the word bacon she calmed down and lay on the floor.

"Who's a good girl?" I pulled a piece of bacon out of my pj pocket and held it in front of her.

I tossed the meat in the air and Daisy jumped up and snatched it in her jaws.
As she ate the bacon I walked to my closet to choose my outfit.
I rummaged through all the clothes I owned and decided on a maroon, long sleeve v-neck, light jeans, black bra with matching underwear, and white converse.

I walked over to my small bathroom that was connected to my bedroom and began applying a small amount of makeup.
As I was putting on some chapstick I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I shouted.

I bent over the grab my makeup bag that I accidentally knocked onto the floor.

"Guess who?"

I felt two arms wrap around my waist and pull me close to the body behind me.

"Matthew?" I grinned as I spun around and hugged my best friend.

He chuckled and hugged me back.

"How about we go see a movie," he said.

"That would be amazing," I smiled.

Matthew looped his arm through mine and we walked to the front door.

"Bye grandma!" I shouted.

"Stay safe and have fun!" She responded from the kitchen.

I opened the door and smiled as the cool autumn air washed across my face. Today was going to be a wonderful day, I could feel it.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••