Chapter Two

Matthew and I entered the movie theater and made our way to the ticket booth.

"Two tickets for..."

"The Princess Bride," I finished his sentence.

He nodded and payed for the tickets. This month the theater was playing old movies and I had been dying to rewatch this movie for the hundredth time. When I was younger my grandma and I used to sit together on the couch and watch old movies.

"Ladies first," Matthew said, letting me choose my seat first.

"Why thank you sir," I gave a small laugh.

"No problem ma'am," he joked as we both took our seats.

"Who do you want to get paired with?" Matthew asked as the previews for other movies played on the screen.

I quit looking at the screen and faces him.

"I haven't ever actually thought about it before," I paused, "but I guess probably you. Not in a weird way though, just because we've been friends for as long as I can remember and I feel comfortable with you."

His cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

"Honestly I hope we end up together. I can't imagine being with another girl that I don't even know," he kissed my forehead.

I felt his arm wrap around me and pull me close to him. I was so glad that Matthew was here with me, I had never actually had feelings for him, he was mostly like a brother to me, but his question did make me wonder... did he have feelings for me?

My thoughts were interrupted as the movie began. I watched as Westley kissed Buttercup before he went away and hoped that my future partner would love me as much as Westley loved Buttercup. As the movie progressed I began to drift off to sleep...
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
"Sophie."

I felt someone shaking me awake. My eyes slowly opened and I saw Matthew.

"Movies over. You slept through the majority of it," he laughed.

I groaned and sat up. Matthew intertwined his fingers in mine and we walked out of the theater.

"So, what do you want to do next?" Matthew asked as he opened the passenger door allowing me to slide into the truck.

"How about we go to the park," I said, full of excitement.

Matthew laughed as he hopped into the truck and started it.

"Whatever you say," he stepped on the gas and drove us towards the park.

I had turned on the radio and began singing Fooled Around and Fell In Love by Elvin Bishop.

"I must have been through about a million girls
I'd love 'em then I'd leave 'em alone
I didn't care how much they cried, no sir," I sang as Matthew smiled at me from the drivers seat.

"Their tears left me cold as a stone
But then I fooled around and fell in love
I fooled around and fell in love, yes I did
I fooled around and fell in love," Matthew stopped the truck at the park's parking lot and began singing.

"It used to be when I'd see a girl that I liked
I'd get out my book and write down her name
Ah, but when the, the grass got a little greener over on the other side
I'd just tear out that page
I fooled around and fell in love
I fooled around and fell in love, since I met you baby," he sang.

"I fooled around and fell in love
I fooled around and fell in love
Free, on my own is the way I used to be
Ah, but since I met you baby, love's got a hold on me
It's got a hold on me now
I can't let go of you baby
I fooled around and fell in love
I fooled around and fell in love, oh yes I did
I fooled around, fooled around, fooled around, fooled around,
Fooled around, fooled around, fell in love
Fooled around, fooled around, fooled around, fooled around,
Fooled around, fooled around, fell in love
I fooled around, fell in love
I fell in love, I fell in love, yes I did," we sang together in perfectly imperfect harmony.

Once the song was over Matthew and I looked into each others eyes and for the first time my heart began racing. His eyes were drawing me towards him and I could tell mine were doing the same.
Matthew began crawling over to me and I could feel butterflies stirring in my stomach. He cupped my face in his hands and began to move in for a kiss.

I was frozen, I didn't know what to do. His lips lightly brushed against mine, then he pulled back.

"I shouldn't have done that," he said.

"It's ok Matthew," I gave him a hug.

"It's not though, I should have asked first or at least just resisted, but it's hard. Sophie Dare, I'm head over heals in love with you, I always have been. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, maybe we could have had something before the government ruined it," tears began to form in his eyes.

He loved me... I loved him too but I didn't know if it was romantic love.
As we sat in silence Matthews eyes went wide and he lunged towards me, pushing me into the back seats.

The next few moments went by extremely fast. One second Matthew was laying on top of me and the next second my world was spinning, so was the truck. I felt my head ran against the window as the truck violently rolled down into the ditch beside the park. Pain seared through my body as the truck hit the ground and was totally wrecked.

My ears fuzzed and I couldn't see straight. I managed to croak out one last word before darkness consumed me.

"Matthew."