Chapter Five

My grandma kissed my forehead then went to sit in the area of seats reserved for parents and guardians.

"Ok Sophie, you've got this," I told myself as I sat down in the area reserved for the teens like me.

"Mind if I sit here?" A voice asked from beside me.

I turned and saw a girl with light brown hair, green eyes, and red lips. She was about my height and she wore a dark blue dress that was very similar to mine.

"Sure. I'm Sophie Dare, and you?" I patted the seat next to me.

"I'm Elizabeth Brooks, but most people call me Beth," she said as she took a seat next to me.

"Is there anyone you hope to get as your partner?" She asked.

'Yeah my best friend Matthew, but he's dead' I thought to myself.

"No, you?" I lied.

"I hoping to get Caleb Timber, I've had a crush on him since 10th grade," she admitted shyly.

I smiled, "what does he look like?"

She stared off dreamily, "he's got dark brown hair, hazel eyes, amazing smile, athletic build."

I gave a small laugh, "sounds like a cutie."

She blushed, "Yeah he really is."

We didn't have time to continue talking because the mayor of our town began speaking.

"Hello everyone!" His voice boomed in the microphone.

"Now today is a very special day for these eighteen year olds. As you all know I will grab a name out of the girls bowl and a name out of the boys and that will determine the pairs. Now without further ado I shall begin. When your name is called please stand up and sit in the designated section for pairs," Mayor Gomez said.

Beth grabbed my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. It felt good to have a friend who was going through what I was going through.
I felt like she considered me a friend, I know I considered her as one.

"James Goldbro and Mary Simpleton."

"Gabriel Farmer and Amy Peters."

"Terry Young and Jenny Winter."

Names were called and couples were made. I waited calmly to hear my name or Beth's.

"Caleb Timber and Elizabeth Brooks."

Beth jumped up and slowly walked to her new seat next to Caleb. I was glad she finally was able to be with the guy she liked. Luck was on Beth's side.

"Ethan Quill and Sophie Dare."

I slowly stood up and walked to my new seat, not even looking at the guy following close behind me.

Ethan and I turned to face each other at the same time and our eyes locked.
He was super handsome. He had a good build, dark brown hair, beautiful brown eyes, and perfect lips.

"I'm Ethan," he said, his eyes never left mine.

"Sophie," I replied.

"You're very beautiful," he flashed me a charming grin.

"Th-thanks," I stuttered.

I must have been blushing because Ethan began laughing softly, then he focused his eyes on the mayor.

Maybe this arranged marriage wouldn't be so bad...
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
After the "ceremony" I made my way back to my minivan with Ethan right by my side.

"You must be Ethan," My grandma smiled at my partner.

"You must be Sophie's grandma, you have a very beautiful granddaughter," Ethan kissed her hand.

I rolled my eyes, "do you want to meet at the address we were given?"

He twiddled his thumbs,
"My parents are already waiting for us there. I was hoping I could catch a ride."

My grandma laughed, "of course dear, you can ride in the back with Sophie."

I hopped into the van with Ethan following my movements.

"So Ethan, do you have any siblings?" My grandma asked.

"A ten year old sister named Heather," he responded.

"Pets?" She asked.

"No, parents don't allow it. I've always wanted a big dog though."

"Sophie has a golden retriever named Daisy. However I'm keeping her with me for company," My grandma let out a soft laugh.

The conversation continued as if I wasn't really there. I zoned out and ended up falling asleep on Ethan's shoulder.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Hey beautiful, wake up," someone was shaking me awake gently.

"Hmm," I mumbled and opened my eyes only to see Ethan looking down at me.

I sat up and followed him out of the van.

"While you were sleeping I moved all your boxes into the house," he informed me.

"Thanks," I smiled and walked into our new house.

It was a pretty good sized one story house made of dark red brick. The house had a wooden door and it had a few windows. When I walked into the house I was greeted by my grandmother and two other people in what I assumed was the living room.

"These are my parents, Maggie and Tony Quill," Ethan introduced the two people siting on a brown couch.

"I'm Sophie," I shook their hands.

"Good to meet you Sophie. I think that it would be best to let you two get settled in," Mr. Quill said.

"It was good meeting you," Mrs. Quill said, as she and her husband stood up and made their way to the door.

"See you later Sophie," My grandma hugged me, then followed the couple out of the house.

Ethan and I sat on the couch in silence.

"I don't want to rush anything unless you do, I'll take the couch," Ethan said shyly.

'I'll take the couch'

Matthew used to say that when we had sleepovers as kids and teens. He would always let me sleep on the bed, whether it was his bed or mine. I have a faint smile at the memory.

I just gave him a smile and said thanks, then began looking for the master bedroom.