Chapter 19: Without A Doubt

Amani's POV

Don't forget about the hard nights

Don't forget about the downtown street lights

Don't forget about your brother

Don't forget about his daughters

Don't forget your little nieces growing up without a father

And son remember Mama

Remember all the nights she had to put up with your drama

For anybody else who's saying don't forget you

My advice is that you're just being forgettable

Now I do it for my homies

They don't never get to do it

And I do it for the mamas tryna make it on their own

Yeah I do it for the thugs on the yard locked up

And I do it for New Orleans

Couldn't do it all alone.......

I hummed along to New Orleans own August Alsina putting on Old Spice deodorant. The nigga was the truth.

And the story about about his brother, although tragic, was an everyday thing in my hometown. Black men killing black men was as common as breathing. That didn't take away the pride I had for my city though. We were more than Katrina or senseless acts. We had history like any other city.

"Amara get out of the damn bathroom." I hollered at my sister through the door. It was my one month anniversary with Essence and I was already late but I had to take a major leak. Sometimes it didn't help to have two bathrooms. Amara was always in one doing girly shit and my cousin was always in the other taking a massive shiznit. I was always assed-out.

"Five minutes!" She replied through the thick wooden door.

"You said that ten minutes ago!" I sighed frustrated with her foolish girl issues. "A'ight man I gotta go.You trippin girl." Instead of waiting another hour, I decided to just head out. She wasn't gonna be out any time soon.

Turning the key of my aunt's car, I blasted some nameless rap song and turned up the heat. It was fucking freezing outside. I knew my hands were going to fall off before they hit the wheel.

Me: Down the st. U ready?

Lady Fudge: Ready Freddy lol.

Me: B there in 5. Corny azz!

Lady Fudge: ;) I'll be waiting...

I texted Essence on my way to her house. I had a big day planned for us. I was taking her to a book-signing for her favorite author, laser tag, and a pic nic at an indoor ice skating rink. I hoped she liked it. I didn't want anything for our anniversary but to see her beautiful smile. That was all I needed.

"Amani!" Essence's mom Ms. Hazel, she insisted I call her, greeted me at the front door with a smile. It took her a while to warm up to me after finding out we were dating. Didn't want me to hurt her daughter, which I expected. But Ms. Hazel had nothing to worry about. Little did she know, I was beginning to love her daughter. I respected her and everything she stood for. "Have a seat young'un she'll be out in a second." She told escorting me to the living room couch.

Five minutes later, Essence appeared from the back while Ms. Hazel,T.J., and I made idle conversation. Placing the cold glass of lemonade that Ms. Hazel gave me on the table, I stared at Essence in awe. She was simply amazing. She wore a tan and pink shear dress. The top was tan, the bottom was pink, floral, shear, and longer in the back. She looked better than fantastic. Ma was on point.