26 December, 2017-best friends in the world

Warnings: again, world that I don't explain, animal shifters, depression mentioned, loneliness, sex mentioned, all about friendship. Death in the end, but it's peaceful.

From day one, Ellenor was the elephant in the room.

Literally.

She was the first of her kind, born in the underground cavern of Limst. Limst is the widest known birth place for animal shifters in the world. Situated in the underground, deep in the Sahara desert in Africa, the site was famous for its unusual shifters.

The first penguin, the first eagle, the first mantarey, the first antelope, all were born deep in the depths of Limst.

And now, the first elephant. As Ellenor grew, she felt more and more isolated, and different.

She felt alone.

She was.

But eventually, she met Timothy.

He was a mouse shifter. Their friendship gained much attention and ridicule, but in each other they found themselves, and with each other they found happiness.

They were not involved romantically, as many speculated, but they were the kind of friends that shared everything.

Tim told her about his first time, with a lovely peregrine shifter, that although very experienced, didn't treat him horribly but instead guided him through, keeping him calm, and ultimately, happy.

Ella showed Tim her animal form, a thing she did not show to anyone, and then when she found Zachary, Tim helped her and guided her every step of the way.

From first crush to first kiss to first time, he was there.

When Tim fell in love with Marigold, Ella helped him, slowly rebuilding the pieces he had left of himself after her rejection. When he found he was slowly falling for Henry, his boss and lion shifter, she set them up and helped him deal with the identity crisis that came after.

They were at each other's weddings, each other's birthdays (always, they had a streak of 72 years by the end of it) and finally, when they got too old and they knew they would soon be gone, they spent their last few days with each other, and each other's families, before falling asleep and peacefully dying, together.

They shared their graves, and on the grave stone, it said:

Here lie Tim and Ella, the best friends in the world.