6

Raine stepped into her room at Rivendell, falling down on the bed.

She had stopped there before going to the Shire and had dropped a few weapons off for later use.

She glanced at the wardrobe and stood, pulling out a dress. It was a deep, vibrant blue with silved finishings.

Raine untied her black braid and took her boots off, enjoying the feeling of cold stone beneath her feet. She stepped out of the room, adjusting the neck-line of her dress to cover the arrow-wound she had briefly treated herself.

Upon their arival to the Elven village, Elrond had invited the Company for a feast, so she made her way to the balcony.

She winced when the dwarves' collected gazes fell on her and nearly turned back to the hallway.

She moved over to the table where various salads were being served and pulled a face. "Where's the meat?"

A few dwarves chuckled, including Thorin.

"I'm being serious! We need meat if we want to regain our strength!"

Elrond stepped onto the balcony and smiled at her. "You still rave about meat? I thought you were embracing your heritage?"

She met his gaze. "That was before I joined the Company."

"Joined?"

She gave him a warning look and the elf closed his mouth. Instead he lifted his arm and three elves laid out plates of food, more specifically meat and sausages, on the table.

Giving Elrond a look, she pulled him into a hallway.

"I prefer that the dwarves to not yet know of my background," she said softly.

Raine was a head shorted the the elf.

He nodded. "I understand. Please enjoy our wide selection of delicasies."

She smiled. "I only said that for the dwarves' sakes, but I thank you." She hugged him briefly. "For everything."

"You say that as if you might not return?"

She sighed. "I might not."

•••

Five hours later, after a quick nap, Raine climbed out of her bed and turned back to the wardrobe.

She pulled out her usual black pants and boots, a fresh shirt (dark blue), new binds for her chest and her black cloak. She also found some fingerless gloves.

After pulling on the clothes and braiding her dark hair, she turned to the chest at the foot of her bed and pulled out her weapons.

Her sword was strapped to her waist and a dagger down each of her boot  she strapped a bow and arrows across her back and picked up her staff. She glanced at her reflection before jogging silently towards where the group would meet.

When Raine reached the courtyard, she was thd first one there, so she moved to the stables to bid a friend farewell.

She patter her horse's muzzle softly, thoughts trailing over all the adventures they had had together.

She smiled at him.

"I'm leaving you to the dwarf," she whispered. "He might be too small to ride you, but he'll have a hell of a good friend."

She heard hushed voices outside the stable and sighed, giving the horse a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you, Mozzie," she whispered before joining the rest of the Company.