Chapter Seventeen

{This picks up as they're still running, so make sure you read Chapter Sixx-Teen before ya read this unless you're all caught up.}

Duff's POV

"How much farther do we have to run?!" Amy called through the clear night as we ran from the garden guards. Saul growled, "Fuck it if I know! How the hell are we going to do this?" Vince laughed. "We just keep going until they give up!" Suddenly, we caught the sound of police sirens in the far distance, and Vince's eyes widened. "Fuck," I growled, making a sharp turn. "This way!" And so we ran on. I could tell the cop cars were getting closer and closer as we ran on, but we kept going no matter what. As we ran, I realized that we were no longer in Athens, by the scenery. "Where are we?" I asked, though the question was generally directed. "Uhh, that's a good question," Mick replied as we rounded another corner.

I looked around more, catching no signs with a town name on them. "Well, it seems like an abandoned part of Greece to be perfectly honest. So much for getting to the airport by today." We all stopped momentarily, unsure of where to go. "So would anyone know us? If they wouldn't we might be able to fucking hide," Saul mentioned. I only shrugged in response, but then froze as a megaphone spoke loudly behind me. "Freeze. There's no getting out of it now, kids." I was half-surprised at the American-style protocol and half-shocked at the fact that the cop spoke English in the first place. But we all knew enough not to speak.

Since this was Greece and not America, I really had no clue how the political systems worked other than the fact that you were guilty until proven innocent, the opposite of the ways of the American government. The Greek-American cops cuffed us, shoving us harshly into their cars. No one spoke, but I saw a glint of worry in Steven's eyes. I gave him a reassuring look, mentally promising both him and myself that I would all be okay. The thing was, I wasn't too sure if it would be. "Damn kids, waking me up in the middle of the night..." The cop grumbled on, getting in the car that was containing Alice, Steven, Jeff and I.

"You speak English?" I finally asked, feeling the silence slowly start to get to me. The cop nodded, not glancing back. "Yeah. This is an American-Greek town, kid. I take it you've never been here." I nodded. "Haven't ever been to Greece before yesterday, man." The car went silent once again. However, that silence was short-lived when the cop laughed a bit. "Okay, I have to ask, what the hell were you guys doing digging up a grave in the National Fucking Garden?" Jeff rolled his eyes. "We had to get what was in that coffin." The cop grinned a little more, clearly finding us comical. "And why is that?" I felt the tension rise in Jeff. He wasn't one to be caught by the cops. That was the one thing that seriously pissed him off. Authority. "Because, asshole, it's my friend's aunt's grave, and she fucking told us to."

Now the cop seemed sort of confused as well as amused. "Who?" He asked as he sped down the road to the police station. We all looked at each other and nodded in agreement of what we were about to say, and then Alice spoke the name with a hollow tone: "Athena Michelle Lee Bass." The car suddenly jolted to an unexpected stop. "Wait a second... Athena?" I raised my eyebrow at the cop's recognition. Before Jeff could make a smart-ass remark, I nodded. "Yeah, man. You know her?" The cop laughed. "Know her? Boy, I was her best friend before she had to go running. We'd been friends in America since we were kids, but decided to come back here since I was practically her second brother."

My baby Steven asked in realization, "Wait... So you know where she is?" The cop shook his head sadly. "Hell, do I wish. When the government came through here, she was in too much of a rush to tell me. I'd like to think she would have. She just told me that she had to leave to keep the both of us safe. Anyone that knew anything about her or the Rockers would be taken into custody, so she had the smart-ass idea of slipping some memory-loss pills into my coffee the day she left. Too bad she never told me. I didn't know left from right for three damn days." He chucked a bit. "By the way, my name's Leon. What're you kids doing looking for Athena?"