ii. (jasmine)

I woke up at a quarter to 10, knowing that I'd now be out of sleep for the remainder of the evening. A pounding headache from completing more statements for Thursday's deposition seemed to wear me out, with no mercy. I was hoping this divorce wouldn't be nasty, but considering the reality, that was inevitable. I wish this could hurry up and end; I almost don't care what Sam runs off with. After returning from the bathroom, and popping more ibuprofen, I checked my phone and noticed missed calls and texts from Michael; he was planning on coming over. I assumed it was too late to take him up on his offer, and quite frankly, I wasn't over the mortification from him telling me about his ex. So, even though seeing him would provide sweet release, my remorse and pride wouldn't let me rest. I sent him a message back, letting him know what was going on. He replied with wanting to meet up after work tomorrow. He always seemed to cause this nervous crush-like sensation whenever there was a chance of us meeting up. I don't think this is even sexual, but pure platonic love. I enjoyed it, and it was a stark difference than the hell I was facing with my ex-husband. After changing into my pajamas, and making a cup of tea, I returned to bed.

                I had at least five different meetings to lead and attend today, so I knew my mind would at least be preoccupied with that and not tomorrow: tons of new clients, a new grant offer for funding, another fundraising event, and some visits with current organizations; a lot to expect over these next few weeks. I only hoped Michael would train Stephanie to be exactly like him, so that my every need could be met with little to no concern. Still, there was a tiny part of me that wished Michael could stay around here much longer.  While grabbing my files and contracts for my first meeting with a children's grief initiative, I noticed Michael and Stephanie conversing, as he watched her perform some actions on her computer. He seemed to be training her well. Once I arrived, I checked one last message from my phone, and it was from him. He let me know what time I'd expect him, to make up for yesterday. Honestly, nothing could've been better since I would have to meet with Sam tomorrow.

                5:00 had quickly come. My exhaustion was real. I told Michael to meet me at my place around 6:30, so I could have a good hour to freshen up and cook. It was the least I could do. At 6:35, I heard a knock on my door. "Hey," I spoke with a soft smile and let him in. He stepped over the threshold with a few grocery bags. "Mike, you didn't have to bring anything. I've got it." "It isn't much; I thought the least I could do was bring some wine and dessert." I watched him as he put everything away. "How did everything go?" he asked while washing his hands, helping me to finish preparing dinner. I shrugged; "I gave some more statements for everything. We will be meeting up tomorrow with our lawyers." Michael made a face, "What is there to still meet over? He nearly attacked you; he was a poor excuse of a husband, among many other things. What more is there to debate about?" I shook my head; I didn't have an answer for him. Sam is legitimately trying to make me miserable. "Well, you don't have to go thru it alone. You've got me, and I mean that." I gave a tired smile, as a silent thank you. "Training went well?" I tried to change the subject. "Yeah; Steph catches on pretty quickly. I think she will make a great assistant." I still couldn't shake how bad I felt about hiring her. But que sera sera, right?

                After a nice quiet meal, Michael and I sat outside under the gazebo. I enjoyed sitting outside under the turning breeze of spring to summer; it was the perfect temperature. "So, your hearing tomorrow, I know it's the last thing you want to discuss but, will it be over after that?" Michael asked while taking a sip of coffee. "I'm hoping so. I signed a prenup when we got married; I was totally fine with that. My earnings and assets are mine alone and there are records that I paid him in full. As far as the house, I want to move anyway, so neither one of us will get it. I don't know what else he wants." I was really confused at this pressing new information, and I really wanted things to just be over with. I wanted to start fresh with my new life, away from him. "Well, whatever it is, let's hope it's not too serious. The quicker this divorce is finalized, the faster you can heal better."