iv. (michael)

This was starting to become strange; it's not like her to miss my every call. Maybe something was wrong. I needed to see her. No sooner than I punched out I went straight to her place. Her car was there, which let me know she was home. I tried calling her again, but I got no answer, so I knocked hard as I could on her door.

She eventually called back to let me know the door was unlocked, so I let myself in and ran up to her room. "Jas! What's going on? We've been calling you nonstop!" I found her sitting on the floor on the side of her bed, facing the window. "What happened? Talk to me. Was the hearing that bad?" Still nothing from her; I walked over her and kneeled down to her face. Her cheeks and nose were reddened from crying, as were her eyes, swollen and still full of tears. "Honey talk to me. What is it...?" Each time she tried to start speaking, she would start a soft and quiet sob. I gently took her face in my hands, trying to wipe the constant tears. "I'm going to lose my company...and you. I just know it." I frowned; "What do you mean? You aren't going to lose a damn thing and I'm not going anywhere."  "There were cameras ...in my office. Everything we did is on tape...he submitted it as evidence." All I could do was stare at her. "So you mean to tell me there is footage of us fucking in your office?! That your ex-husband has seen and now his lawyers see it?!" "Michael...I...I don't even-""Are you serious Jasmine? Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke. That they do NOT have footage of us?" She was dead silent. I knew that this was nowhere near her fault, but I was annoyed with her just the same. And for whatever reason, the rational side of me just wouldn't kick in. "Why...if you knew there were cameras in your office???" "Michael they were not there originally. He had to plant them in there."  I got up quicker than I knew it. "I'm sorry Jas, but I've gotta get out of here. This is too much. Our jobs are going to be on the line. I start at UB tomorrow! I know that this isn't any fault of yours but I don't think this is going to work out. I need some time to think, because right now...I just can't. So I'm gonna go." And with that I left out. I ignored her faint pleas for me to stay, but I could not. Of course I didn't want things to end, but I had to get away from her for now.

 Of course I didn't want things to end, but I had to get away from her for now

A month since the incident Jasmine told me about had come and gone. I was fully underway as a new employee of Unapologetically Beautiful, an organization dedicated to unconventional beauty standards in children, teens and women of color. I absolutely loved it here. They recently began a campaign to help children struggling with vitiligo, and my niece has been a member ever since.

                Within this months' time, I also hadn't spoken to her. No calls, no texts, no visits. I keep replaying what happened in my mind and can't help but to feel bad about the abruptness of our new relationship ending but that was just too much, and I did not want to be involved. I was sure I would have to be, especially with her divorce proceedings. The more and more I mulled over the thought in my mind, the more I realized Sam was especially insane. Hopefully something good could come from all of this, but for now, I wanted to leave well enough alone.