vi.(michael)

I rose from my side of the bed, with my sheets stuck to my sweat drenched body. Next to me, lay a woman I just met at lounge. Old habits die hard, right? I had to get Jasmine out my system once and for all. I didn't even know why, when she was the victim. Perhaps I felt she had just kept causing me some misfortune. First my ex, now her ex, what would've followed? Who was I kidding? She was not the type of woman you just forget about. Now, I had to compensate for what I lacked with her not being around. I opened one of the windows letting in the cool early morning air, after returning from the bathroom, with the woman wide awake. Suddenly, I felt awkward and ashamed; I was too damn old for this type of behavior. "You really know what you're doing, hm? Knocked me right out," she said with a laugh. If this were 10 years ago, I would've handled her again, libido and ego in hand. But now, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was cheating on Jasmine, when we weren't even together. "Look, I'll be frank: I did have fun tonight, but I don't think this should continue. I don't wanna just toss you out, I can't do that. So you're welcome to stay the night." "Uh, nah. If this is weird for you, I don't wanna make it any weirder. I'll go." She jumped up with quickness, grabbing her dress off the floor and slipping it on, while collecting her garments. "Are you sure? I don't mind you staying." "No, no, I'll just go. Don't want to leave my man wondering too much." With that she hurried out the door. She said she didn't have a man, wow. Stress was getting to me, so I decided to take a shower and head back to bed, afterwards.

Saturday morning came with serenity. After a short morning run, I came back and showered; afterwards, I decided to make myself a quick breakfast. I was interrupted by the doorbell and a personal deliverer. "Good Morning, Mr. Jackson?" "Yes?" The man handed me an envelope and wished me a good day. "You, too." I opened the large folder to read the contents inside after closing the door. On it was documentation; it stated Mr. Samuel Jackson and the State of California against Jackson Helps regarding a charge for property invasion. The document stated that the suit, charged by a Ms. J. Sims, was won and a settlement of $4500 was awarded to me by Mr. Jackson. However, when I looked at the settlement check, it was way over that amount, matter of fact $5500 more, apparently for grievances. Ms. Sims? That must've been Jasmine. She probably went back to her maiden name, and was awarded the sums from the suit. I'm glad that I wasn't directly involved, I mean I was directly involved, but there were no consequences. Thank God. My anxiety was finally over. Now I had to deal with another situation: I had to make it up to Jasmine.

Figuring that she was probably at home, I tried to give her a call, but I didn't get an answer. So I figured I'd try again later. She was probably ignoring me, which I understood. I had to do what I could to make it up to her, even if this was the termination of our newly budding relationship.