iii. (jasmine)

7:45am. This was a place I seriously hated going to. I would've rather been back in 8am classes back in Proviene Hall, with Professor Calhoun, who I hated with the passion of a million suns. I went in to find my lawyer, James Davidson, who was due every red cent that he earned. He was a true Godsend during this whole process. "Glad you made it. We have half an hour before the deposition starts up." "I know, and I'm wondering why you had me come in so early. What on earth did he find now?" Davidson looked at me with a horror in his eyes that scared even me. "His people sent me a variety of security footage over the last few days." He turned his laptop around to show me and started the video, which looked familiar. Instantly, I found myself short of breath. "That...that's my office...why is there security footage of my office??" "Did you not have cameras installed?" "No! Not in my office!!" Eventually, the tape began and what I worse feared came on the screen. Something that was reminiscent of a pornographic film popped up; "Please turn it off..." I covered my face in horror, trying to hold back tears. "He's submitted this as evidence into the hearings. Something is telling me foul play. Explain what happened, so we can get a handle on this." "If I would've known he'd play this dirty, I would've recorded him when I caught him in his office!" He raised his brow in concern. "Tell me what happened. It's not so much what took place here, but why and how?" He handed me a box of Kleenex and sat next to me so I could compose myself. "I was tired. Sam had been gone for months without return, call, or anything. I knew he was out with whomever. Michael was always attractive and I let him know. What started off as a simple fling began to grow a little. So, yes! Two consenting adults partook in something inappropriate in the office, sure enough. But why was there a camera in my office?! I would've never done anything of that nature!" "So, office cameras were never installed?" "James come on why would I have a camera in my office, where I frequently change for business meetings and what not. I also have counseling with clients so I did that to protect them as well. I would NEVER put cameras in my office! I'd never jeopardize myself or my company that way!" "He will try to throw that in, but the bigger situation is that the cameras were planted in the first place. If we can get extensive research and proof that they were planted, that will rule in your favor. In the meantime, you'll have to tell all parties." I felt as if I were going to faint. Now I have to tell Michael that he and I were recorded against our consent!? Nothing could get any worse than this. I don't know how I will make it through today.

            "Let's pull up any assets from 2012. Mrs. Jackson, you do have the paperwork that says you paid Mr. Jackson in full, I see that here. But why start a company with no monetary pull on your end?" Sam's snide lawyer spoke. "My husband at the time saw that I was in financial need, and being a decent and sweet human being, he wanted to help me. It's called being generous." "So, is he not due half the company?" "What for?! When I paid him back! There is no need he needs to be a part of something that isn't even of interest to him." Davidson had to pull me together, "Calm yourself, I know your emotions are high but we need to stay professional." I sat down with a swollen, reddened face and a stress level that was through the roof. "She can keep it, it is hers and I truly don't want it," Sam spoke matter-of-factly. I could've hauled off and slapped the shit out of him; he knew he didn't want anything to do with it. "So, Mrs. Jackson, once you change your name, you'll pay a $1500 fee to change the company name," the moderator said right before I cut him off. "I have the check here. I've already have a new name ready. Paperwork's filled out." I slid the manila folder across to him with the envelope for the check on top. "As well, all prenup contracts will go through, Mrs. Jackson will have full rights to her company, Mr. Jackson will keep all previous and existing assets, as will you Mrs. Jackson. Now if we're ready to adjourn?" "We have one more piece that would be helpful to my client." I tried my hardest to appear strong, as any signs of weakness could change any little situation. "It seems Mr. Jackson found this footage from the company the divorcee resides. It shows debaucherous behavior between her and a coworker, which could also become a sexual harassment claim." Davidson chimed in; "The footage need not be played, as it is an invasion of privacy. While what occurred between her and her assistant was not appropriate, it was completely consensual." "But is it not true, Mrs. Jackson that you put in a clause in your employee handbook that on site relations are not tolerated, and could result in suspension or termination? Why should you and he be off the hook? Is that not fair to your employees?" Sam sat with a smug grin on his face. "While it did occur, those tapes were not acceptable nor of my own doing. First of all, how did he even get that footage, if cameras were not initially installed in my office due to confidentiality?" I told him glaring at Sam. "So, Mrs. Jackson, you do not deny that it was you and your assistant in the tapes?" I shook my head. "We will proceed with this next month. While irrelevant to the proceedings, I do believe it's worth looking into. Meeting adjourned." After the moderator finished the meeting, I walked back to my lawyer's office in shame. "We can fix this. Don't worry. Let them do the investigation, so they can make sure it was a breaking and entering. Then it was invasion of privacy and voyeurism but not on your part." I couldn't help but cry a fistful of tears. "What about my company? My entire career is on the line here, and everything I worked for." "We will make sure that nothing bad happens. He opened up that can of worms, so it'll be up to the judge in the end. For now, you have all your assets." "What good does that do me if I get my company taken away?!" "Jasmine that will not happen I assure you. Look, head home. Take the rest of the day off.  You must talk to Michael, however. It's better to make him aware of the situation, before Samuel and his people decided to take matters into their own hands."

                I went home, not even bothering to go into work. I couldn't even look at that place. I couldn't look anyone in the face. I felt defeated, for sure. And of course I couldn't look at him. And it would be that once I turned my phone back on, I'd have 30 missed calls and texts from him and coworkers, mostly from him.