Chapter 1: First blood

Eventides.

Storm Queen's dynasty.

"Is this all they have?"

With a crooked smile on his face, he looks down at the pile of corpses and puts back his Malice and Verdict. The eyes of the dead men are pale like snow, so pure yet hauntingly white, questioning him, piercing through him as if the blood-stained wands just sliced right through.

Their fate was predetermined by the moment they met the dark mage. The life in them was all drawn out to maintain the dark mage's power at its peak - a woeful but necessary sacrifice.

The battle between a mage and elite troops may appear unfair, but Samuel didn't shed a sweat. He exhausted every soul nearby with no difficulty. But what is that? A guard with his mouth slightly open, choking for air  into his damaged throat.

"All of you share the same uniform, and from what I see, these are Stormguard's clothes. You people are under the command of Stormqueen, am I correct? Where is she?"

"What....what are you plan up to? If this is another one of that rebel's doing... then I will not fall to it, I....."

Before that Stormguard can finish his sentence, the remaining life force of his has been suck out, sending him to the afterlife.

Dusting off his robes, Samuel sets his gaze to the center building of the city - a big, vintage castle - a place where only a Queen could live.

"Rebels huh? I'm not surprise if that tyrant has enemies, but I'll be the one who burn down her throne!"

Setting up his mind, Samuel continues his path in defeating the one who is responsible for terrorizing the Grankgor's hometown.

As a child trained by them, he grew a deep connection with the Grankgor. Without them, he wouldn't be able to pass the tenth mage trial, which up till now, still haunts his every steps. His blood mother Lora attempts to kill him in that trial, while his father Titus has been missing for years. Samuel hasn't met neither of his parents since the age of 4, when he was taken by Lyra – the only person that he swears on loyalty.

No child can endure having their parents absent throughout their entire childhood, and when their only safe haven is threatened, it has no doubt that this child will stand up and defend their only home. Samuel is no exception.

When he finally reaches the castle, he is stopped by two guards, both have their swords and shields, ready for combat.

"This is a restricted area for citizens, state your attentions!" – the guards stop Samuel.

"I have no business with weaklings, I need to see the only one with powers in this place."

"You wish to confront the Queen? Huh....We'll not allow that!"

"Too bad, because I wasn't intended on waiting for your agreement."

With a quick channel, Samuel fires two purple lightning waves at the guards, knocking them to the ground. The guards are immobilized and unable to stand up, leaving Samuel a free ticket to the Stormqueen's palace.

"Weaklings...."

Entering the palace for the first time, Samuel is greeted with a spacious room covered in mirrors.

This room is meant for anyone who wants to confront the royal highness a chance to confront themselves first. Although it's just a mere reflection but Samuel can still see it: the pain in his eyes, the corruption in his soul.....everything. As if he could be able to relive those moment that changes his life forever.

"What kind of sorcery is this?" – Samuel snaps out of the mind control and raises Malice.

"Hkitami Hazarr!"

With one spell, a dark orb of Nether essences hovers at the center of the room, rapidly firing purple lighting every where and shatters the entire room, revealing a much larger area, quite similar to a gathering spot at a convention. Who awaits him at the other side of the mirror is no one else than the Stormqueen herself.

Slowly walking down the stairs with ravens flying around as her guider, the Queen radiates with an aura of authority. She gazes at Samuel, and the dark mage fells small under that stare.

"Such power, yet so young and careless. What is your name, apprentice?" – The Stormqueen asks in a slow voice that gives him the creeps.

Even when standing in front of the powerful Queen, Samuel doesn't hold back. He can sense the immense power blasting out of her, but that just makes him more excited.

"Samuel, that's the only name you need to know, for it'll be the name at the final page of your era, the one who burns down your throne!"

Malice and Verdict has been pulled out and almost immediately, he throws out two dark orbs at the queen. The attack strikes its target and collapses the entire stairway, leaving behind a chunk of broken bricks. However, emerging from the pile of concrete, Stormqueen remains unharmed. Samuel's Nether magic is devastating, but it can only take down certain things.

"Those clothes, Gythian mage?" – the Queen asks as if nothing has happened.

"Do not compare me with those savages!"

"Ah, adrenaline of youth. Fascinating, isn't it? Driving someone so gifted to the verge of revenge. But I'm not here to deal with a kid who can't keep his hormone in check." - she said, turning her back to Samuel - "Well then, let's see how long you can last."

She points at the side door to the left. Slowly walking out of the darkness is Stormlord Ardan – the captain of the Stormguard, one of the best warriors of the royal army.

Like a mad man, Ardan rushes towards Samuel without hesitation. He powered up his gauntlet and threw down a shattering blow, the impact of which knocks Samuel to the opposite wall. Samuel hears his spine cracks, and Ardan doesn't show any sign of stopping. He attacks his opponent with an array of punches, one of another in mere seconds, like a predator trying to end its prey. Samuel is able to dodge the majority of attacks. He takes a step back to keep his distance from this brawling machine.

"Damn it!" – Knowing that his fighting capability is weakened due to that unexpected attack, Samuel summons demonic shades to immobilize Ardan for a short period, enough for him to cast a teleportation spell.

"This is not over yet...." – final words before Samuel completely vanishes into the dark.

"Yes, I am eager to see you again!" – the Stormqueen smiles.

**********

While that battle was taking place, a man and a woman made their way to enter this city.

"Are you sure this is where he had gone to?"

A knight in golden armor, turned his back to his companion in a conversation - an elf mage with large purple perms, was wearing a red robe and hand holding the very own living knowledge.

"Yes, I'm sure. We need to find him before it's too late!"