Chapter 4: Sounds and fury

"Let's make a bargain, shall we?"

A man appears from the darkness, brings in a husky voice. His face resembles a corpse that has just been revived with edgy lines, boney figures and two dead red eyes, dapper in his top hat and waistcoat. But that's not the only thing make him stand out, wielding in his hand is a crow-like scythe, the air around him is soaked with the smell of the afterlife, not mentioning the numerous shades crawling underneath his feet.

The man slowly walks towards Samuel, takes off his top hat and makes a bow.

"Greetings sir Samuel!"

"Who.... are you? H... How do you know me?" - A little panicking in the eyes, Samuel still can't get up.

"Haha! There's no souls walking on this earth I am not aware of, even you. As for me, I am the one whom you met at the crossroads, I am the angel that helps you descent to your safe haven, but... you can call me 'Baptiste'!"

"What do you mean by 'safe haven'?....you're....from the Nether world!"

"That does not matter, I assume you've already known why I am here?"

"You mentioned something about a bargain...."

"Ah good, now we can continue. Stand up first! Have you been experiencing anything strange lately?"

"How could I know I can trust you? You've just appeared out of thin air. From what I know, you might be one of the Stormqueen's hunting hounds!"

"The death does not serve anyone, it can only be negotiated, on the other hand...."

Baptiste gently taps the tip of his scythe to Samuel's chest. Instantly, Samuel feels a boiling pain surging through his body and collapses to the ground again, this familiar feeling....is just like before.

".... I'm asking that just only to test your honesty."

"Urgh....make it stop..."

"As you wish!"

Baptiste pulls out from his pocket a single syringe and injects it into Samuel's veins. A short moment after, he can stand up normally.

"What the hell... did you just do to me?" *pant* – Samuel asks

"I've just solved your problem, haven't I? That's also the purpose of our little exchange."

"You could've killed me if you wanted to, on top of that you've just given me a free antidote. I don't know if I can trust you or not but you're definitely not one of hers....tell me the second part of this exchange."

"I only have interest in one thing: living souls, and yours is one of a kind. I'll give you another syringe that has a three-day-effect, when it expires, I'll come and 'recruit' you to my league of shades, you won't have to be worried about anything after that."

"Do you really think that I'd sell my soul for such a low price? Thanks but no thanks, I'm fine by my own without your magic potion!"

"Hmph hmph hmph! You'll reconsider my offer. No you will have to, just sooner or later. I've already foreseen your fate..." – Baptiste chuckles, showing a grin smile on his face.

Before Samuel can realize it, he has vanished. The way he disappears is almost as mysterious as the way he shows up. There's no longer any fog surrounding Samuel, only the reality world remains.

A simple 'hey!' snaps him out of the day dream, it's quite reasonable to still be dazzled after that unexpected meeting with death himself. And just like that, Samuel returns to his old route.