28 | elliot

28

LUCY KISSES A TRAIL from my collarbone to the nape of my neck

LUCY KISSES A TRAIL from my collarbone to the nape of my neck. She rakes her fingers through my hair and trembles with every movement I make, and I smile against her lips as I touch her chest.

"I can't believe you hid these from me," I whisper.

She laughs. "Shut up. I hate them."

"You're insane."

"Elliot?"

"What?"

"Elliot?"

I'm zapped back to Mrs. Pickle's office. Her eyes narrow beneath her circular glasses.

It's the same old shit—I can tell I'm frustrating her, but I don't have it in me to feel bad today, or to pretend to be okay.

Mrs. Pickle sighs. "Why don't you tell me about the girl, Elliot?"

"What girl?"

"The girl you just mentioned."

I blink.

"I asked if something had changed recently, and you said there was a girl."

"I don't remember saying that."

Her face tightens.

"I mean, I was just spaced out."

A long, exasperated breath escapes her lips. "Elliot, I know you're only here to make your parents happy, but I can help you if you let me. Or you can go see your psychiatrist."

"No, I don't wanna see her. She just wants to put me on pills. I'd rather talk to you."

"Then talk to me."

God, this makes me feel like such a pussy, but if it gets Mrs. Pickle off my case then fine. Let's do this. "I was hanging out with this girl and I thought she liked me, but she bailed without telling me why. It's really been fuck—" I clear my throat. "Sorry. Messing with my head."

"Right. And you have no idea why she left you?"

"None whatsoever."

"And if you knew why, do you think that would help?"

"Yeah. At least then I could move on."

"Yes, closure is always good..."

"But she won't even answer my texts. It's been over a month."

"Well, we can't control the way other people act or respond to us."

"I know that."

"When you say that it's been messing with your head, what exactly do you mean? Have you been having any... thoughts again?"