Chapter one

"patricia?"

her mothers sweet honey voice interrupts her sleep, it's only a tuesday and patricia wishes she was dead. 6ft under seems like a good way to get a good rest, she thinks bitterly, rubbing her dry eyes. she could fake being sick today, it's a possibility that her mother would let her stay in. but it's two more weeks till summer—and patricia has finials.

rolling out of bed is the hardest part of getting up, her eyes hurt from lack of sleep and her clothing litters the floor. she places her glasses on the bridge of her nose and goes to get dressed, flinging discarded clothing out of the way until she comes across her go to trucker hat and t shirt combo. it's one of those days were patricia couldn't care less what she wore.

she gets dressed, brushes her teeth and braids her unruly hair. she feels more awake and less like death herself, two more weeks until unlimited sleep. just two more weeks.

"oh hello, dear," her mom greets, smiling her usual perky grin. she's holding a plate of toast but patricia isn't feeling up to eating so early. instead she grabs an apple and throws it in her messenger bag. the impact emits a clink, and upsets the pin adoration on her bag. she waves a goodbye.

*

patricia wishes she could actually work up the nerve to talk to petra.

she's only a senior and she's basically dominated the whole chicago music scene, playing bass for any band who needed it. and patricia has a huge gay crush on her. drooling from afar is so not punk—patricia wishes she was punk like petra. with her short black hair and fishnets, always calling men out on their bullshit—that's what patricia aspires to be. she wishes she was as cool petra.

speaking of drool, patricia is staring way too long. it's starting to get weird.

she loses her appetite and dumps her sandwich in the trashcan , the band geeks she sits with don't even give her a second glance. she's invisible, even to her friends. patricia catches a glance of petra, who's now sitting on her friend andy's lap. both girls are laughing about a joke that patricia didn't catch. she leaves the lunchroom. suddenly dead set on getting to her next class on time. she doesn't even like stagecraft—but it's easier to focus her brain on something else than her loneliness.

*

patricia wonders if petra's ever dated a junior.

or dated—at all.

she ponders the subject, racking her brain for evidence. while painting small shutters on the play set. has she ever seen petra kiss anyone? more importantly, has she kissed any girls?

she recalls an argument going on between gabe saporta and other soccer player, they were conversing about how gabe was going to ask petra out—only to be shut down by the other.

"she's a lesbian, dude!"

"nah," gabe waves off, "she's too hot—plus she's always around guys.

his friend shrugs, refocusing himself on the lesson upfront, "whatever, girls who are that punk are major lesbians—trust me."

gabe just laughs,

patricia is pretty sure either boys have talked to her, she's usually around her group of friends plus andy's straightedge 'girl gang'—they're not cliquey but the seem pretty choosey with their friends.

"PATRICIA! STOP ZONING OUT! YOU MESSED UP THE PAINT!"

well, fuck.

--------------

hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my story!!!! please leave feedback and comments fuel me. thank you!!!