chapter four

"hey jo!" patricia greets, her voice crackling through the receiver. "i'm so glad you picked up!"

jo laughs, "why wouldn't i? i miss you patricia!"

that warms patricia's heart, she misses her best friend too, it's been ages since they slept over at each other's houses and giggled about boys they liked. well, jo did. talking about of how bad she wanted sid to be her boyfriend. the stupid punk with the bleached blonde mohawk, flipped boyishly to the left. patricia hates him, so much.

"i miss you too, jo—you will not believe what happened today!"

"i'm listening," jo says, followed by a series of cackles that sounds like she had sat down, patricia starts spilling her guts.

"in petra wentz asked to be my friend, she straight up willingly said "i can be your friend!" can you believe that?"

patricia smiles widely at the memory, her butterflies are back. jo is cheering on the other end.

"that's great! i can't believe the queen of the hardcore scene is friends with you. you can get into so many arma angelus shows now! you're so lucky!"

she laughs, and rolls her eyes. "yeah, but i feel like she'll just end up forgetting about me. she has a lot of friends."

"petra wentz doesn't forget a thing—trust me. she still a has a grudge against t.j. after he tried to feel her up after that birthright show."

"how do you know?" patricia challenges.

"t.j. goes to my school, dummy!" jo giggles, "he hangs out with my boyfriend."

oh of course, douchebags hang out with other douchebags. patricia rolls her eyes, "oh cool." she says with mock enthusiasm.

jo chuckles, "i know you hate sid, you don't have to pretend to like him."

"i don't hate him," patricia defends, "he just rubs me the wrong way. i don't know, it's a guy thing."

another laugh crackles through the other end of the receiver, patricia gets an earful of jo's bubbly laugh. she wishes jo was actually here next to her.

"i get that," jo comments.

a pause.

"i'll call you back, patricia, dinners ready." she says, "we'll hang out this weekend, yeah?"

the strawberry blonde smiles, "yeah."

the receiver clicks off, patricia's alone again.

*

patricia takes another shower that night, it's better than the locker room. she gets to lather her hair in her actual shampoo. not the stiff generic kind that's always on display but no one ever really uses.

she really needs a haircut, she thinks to herself. rinsing the fruity scented wash out, her current hair rests just above her tailbone. her mom could quickly cut it, if she hurried her shower up fast enough.

she does exactly that, speeding up her shower so her mother could cut her hair with kitchen scissors. it's not glamours, but patricia hates the salon her mom goes to. the old women with the backhanded compliments like look at you growing so much.

*

"you want me to cut your hair, now?" her mom asks, in disbelief. "it's late, are you sure? you've spent so much time growing it. i'd hate—"

patricia cuts her mom off by handing her the pair of kitchen scissors, "it's annoying, mom. i need a hair cut."

her mom gives her a little once over, and sighs, "if it's what you want..."

her mom goes on to sit patricia down on a stool, gathering a trash can right behind her. her mom gently finger combs patricia's long, strawberry blonde hair and.

snip

a few more follow.

snip, snip, snip

patricia feels like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders. both literally and figuratively.

*

her hair down goes on a few inches past her shoulders, her mom even trimmed her shaggy side bang. patricia likes it a lot, she feels a lot better now. a haircut was long overdue.

"are you happy now, honey?" patricas's mom asks, sweeping up the stray hairs off the kitchen floor.

the strawberry blonde grins, "very much. thank you, mom."

*

__________

another chapter i'm gay.

please comment and shit i'm fucking dying literally no one is reading this :(