chapter 8

Owen walked into the main room at the boatshed where Jessie was sitting on the couch with Emma drinking tea and worrying for Daniel and Callen.

"Is there any news?" Emma asked as Owen walked in.

"Yes Dr. Hurst was found safe and well, he's heading to Cedars-Sinai right now." He said.

"Why is he heading to the hospital if he's safe and well?" Jessie asked.

"Detective Deeks and Agent Callen were hurt in your father's rescue." He said.

"G's hurt?!" Jessie's hands flew to her mouth in shock and she turned to hold her mother's hand.

Emma stood up and turned to Owen, "Take me to my son." She ordered him.

He did a double take, "Excuse me?"

"G. Callen is the nearest thing I have to a son, if it were not for a bureaucrat at the CIA he would be my son." She told him, "Now…Mr. Granger, either take me to my boy or get the hell out of my way." And in a move that belied all her years, she pushed past him and headed to the door, Jessie close on her heels.

For a second Granger stood in shock and then he grabbed his keys and followed, after being pushed around by her he realized that he did not want to get on her bad side.

They climbed into the car, Granger holding the door for both women and they set off.

Halfway there they saw a detour sign and Granger followed it. He pulled up short when he noticed a large van blocking the road. He reached over to get his spare gun out of the glove compartment.

"What's wrong?" Emma asked.

"I'm not sure, maybe nothing…but…" he stopped as a car rammed them from behind. "Are you ok?" he asked looking worried at the two women.

They both nodded.

He undid the safety belt, to see what had happened and they were hit again, his head hit the steering wheel and then he blacked out.

When he came too, both women were gone.

"Where were they?" Callen's voice cut through the tension in the room.

"West Pico Boulevard, a fake detour sign sent them into a trap."

"Urgh!" Callen snapped, "I can't see a thing, I need to get out of this room!" he exclaimed.

"I'll get you a wheelchair." Sam said ignoring the look that Callen gave him.

"I can walk Sam." He snapped.

"Go on then!" Sam challenged him.

Callen stood up and took two steps and started to sink to his knees as Sam caught him. "Look, G…you've been through a lot and can't move right now, let me get you the chair, where do you need to go?"

Callen looked at Daniel, "I think just outside?" he said.

Sam nodded and went to get a wheelchair for Callen.

They headed outside as Granger turned up a large bandage on his head.

"Callen…Dr. Hurst I'm sorry." He said looking at them both.

Callen glared at him and nudged Sam to move him out of the corridor. "I need to be outside."

"Callen, I have asked Eric to look on traffic cams for them." Granger said.

"I'm faster." Callen snapped and saw an empty room, in there Sam, that'll do."

Sam pushed him into the room and Callen stood up, carefully.