I'm Sorry

Gray's POV

I didn't give up looking for her, I was scared of what would happen. While looking, I heard a loud honk and ran to it, hoping it's not what I was thinking. I ran quicker and saw Lucy in the middle of the road.

"Get out of the way!!! LUCY!!!" 

I screamed hoping that she could hear me. She just stood there as if it was meant to be. I ran to her and grabbed her. My arms wrapped around her and my head on her shoulder, with tears streaming down my face. Thinking if I was at least a second late and she could've ended up being dead. I felt her turn her head. 

Lucy's POV

Gray? What is he doing here?

"W-What?" I didn't move.

"Please don't scare me like that again?" I realized what he was talking about.

"And why do you care? You have that beautiful lady who won't stop you from doing what you like."

"It's not like that..."

"Then what was it?! Tell me that its a mistake, please." I raised my voice and feel tears rolling down.

"She was going to do something to you, I had to comply"

"You don't know what's bad for me. You didn't even bother to talk to me about this." He didn't speak knowing that it was the truth.

"Is that what you were talking about, being busy? She was more important?" 

I looked at him. We were both seated on the floor, Gray's head looking down and me trying to look him in the eye.

"I didn't want you to lose your scholarship."

"How did- My scholarship..." 

"She was going to take that away from you if I didn't... Go on a date with her. I knew how important that was to you. I couldn't do that to you. " He continued to say. 

"You touched her like you knew her so well..." I looked away and blushed as I remembered the sight of the two of them.

"She was my ex... She cheated on me with my best friend Lyon. I didn't see Juvia after until today." 

I could feel Gray looking at me. He then touched my cheek, I flinched. His hand backed away and I looked back at him. I didn't want him to back away, I wanted his touch to remain on my cheek.

"I thought I didn't give you enough. Remembering the sight I just saw and us yesterday. I knew that I couldn't give what she could. I pulled it off and just left it on the street because I didn't want to feel like this again." I looked at him with tears flowing hard. 

"I'm sorry..." He looked at me. I knew he wanted to comfort me but he's scared of something. Maybe me flinching again. 

"Was I enough though? To give you something that she could and I couldn't?"

I looked him straight in the eye.  He came closer to me and touched my cheek, this time I didn't flinch nor did I back away. I wanted answers.

"You are more than enough. Sometimes I question if I'm good enough for you. I think to myself, Do I deserve her smile, her honesty, her love?" He wiped my tears away and he leaned in.

"You do." 

I broke the distance between us. Our kiss became passionate and its frightening thinking of what might happen next.  He backed away from the kiss, I blushed even more to see the string of saliva. I looked away from Gray. He pulled his face back to look at me and he took out the necklace I had left in the street.