popping the 'p'

"You're so freaking hot, KyKy" Stiles said as he made out with his hot girlfriend Kylie, popping the (nonexistent) 'p' with his mouth

"God, Stiles, ur so sexayy too," Kylie said, popping the (still very nonexistent) 'p' and biting her Botox-filled, blood-red painted lips.

____

Alright, so that example was a bit over the top, but I'm just trying to really drive this point home: popping the 'p' is not an example of creative writing anymore! In fact, incase you couldn't tell from my horrendous example up above, it's actually become a huge joke in the world of fanfiction. There are a million other ways to describe your character's way of speaking and to show their emotions through your writing!

____

You want your character to sound like they're teasing someone playfully?

EXAMPLE: "I told you that getting in Derek's face was a bad idea," Eliza said in a sing-song voice, as she teasingly pinched Stiles's cheek with her thumb and index finger. "You know he's much stronger than you, darling."

Use adverbs like "playfully", "teasingly" and "jokingly". Have them do quirky little things like using a "sing-song" voice!

Want your character to brag or be boastful about themselves / their abilities?

EXAMPLE: "You could never wish to be this handsome," Jesse said as he flashed his pearly white smile at Jackson, puffing out his toned chest and dropping his voice into a lower octave to assert his masculinity.

Body language is key. Have your character flash a little smirk! If they're female, maybe have them cock their hip. If they're male, have them puff out their chest!

Want your character to sound sad or scared?

EXAMPLE: "I-I just don't understand why she had to die," Myra whispered defeatedly as her voice wavered, and she leaned back into Kira's delicate, but firm and reassuring, embrace. Her voice was forced, a tell tale sign that she was holding back gut wrenching sobs.

Stuttering and stammering is a sure fire way to make sure that fear and sadness come across in your writing. Maybe even throw in that the character's voice sounds shaky or forced!

Want your character to be a ball of pure rage?

EXAMPLE: "Enough!" Stephen roared, his voice booming throughout the room and garnering silence. The rest of the pack's bickering diminished as the room vibrated with the remnants of Greyson's yell that commanded more authority than even the best Alphas could only dream of.

Describe their voice! Is it a frustrated type of anger? A pure rage towards another character? Are they just angry at a whole situation? Describe how their anger affects the people around them.

_____

ALRIGHT, THE ONLY THING I REALLY HAVE LEFT TO SAY IS, PLEASE STOP POPPING THAT IRRELEVANT AND COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY 'P'

- emma, sunshinesiwicki