starting out your writing career & establishing your writing style

EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN UNIQUE WRITING STYLE

whether it be short, simple sentences, or elaborate sentences filled with sophisticated words, your writing style is special to you.

It may take a while to find how you're most comfortable writing. If you're just beginning, here are a few simple tips to help you out:

1) FIND OUT WHAT POINT OF VIEW YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE WRITING IN

There are a lot of people out there who have this mentality:

Ignore them.

My very first fanfiction was a cliche, Lily Evans's twin sister fanfiction for Harry Potter, and it was very poorly written plot and grammar wise, and it was also written in the first person, but you know what? I was proud of it. Sure, there may have been those few people who would say this is so cringy and ew, why is this in the first person? It makes it so hard to read without wanting to exit, but it was my first book to hit 1k reads, and there were people that loved it and I loved that I had something to be proud of.

That book helped me evolve into my style that I write with today; sure, I no longer write in the first  person, but that's what was easiest for me to write in at the time. It helped me gain the confidence to venture out of my comfort zone and try different styles until I found one that fit me as a writer. I've learned that I excel more at writing in the third person, but it took me a while of writing in the first person to be confident enough to try something different and write in the third.

2) PLAN OUT CHAPTERS AHEAD OF TIME

it seems so tedious and time consuming, but trust me, it's very helpful.

I am a victim of constant writer's block, and it can be so hard to try and force myself to sit down and write a chapter, which is why I usually end up leaving my books un-updated for months at a time.

If you plan a rough outline of what you want to happen in each chapter in order to advance the story, it will make it a lot easier to write, knowing that you have certain points you have to hit by the end of the chapter.

3) KNOW YOUR CHARACTERS

try to get into your character's shoes.

Maybe try filling out a character form to help you mold your oc's life. What are their fears? talents? hopes? dreams? What makes them happy or sad? Do they have any pet peeves? Why do they do what they do? What motivates them? Who are their biggest inspirations / role models? How would they react in a crisis? Would they take charge and figure out a solution? Would they clam up and not know what to do?

If you know your character, you can make them seem more real and relatable to your readers, thus creating a more enjoyable and overall better story.

AFTER YOU HAVE BECOME MORE CONFIDENT IN YOUR CURRENT WAY OF WRITING, BRANCH OUT AND SEE WHAT OTHER WRITING STYLES YOU ENJOY

if you like using elaborate wording, go for it !

You'd rather stick to simple and concise sentences and dialogue? Awesome!

You're not a big fan of dialogue and you'd rather have mainly narration? Perfect!

Overall, your writing is what you want to make of it, so don't listen to trolls who try to tell you your writing style is wrong. Remember that your writing is yours and yours only.

-emma, sunshinesiwicki