diversity

DIVERSITY

DIVERSITY. IS. IMPORTANT!

Not to bash on your writing if you happen to have a white OC, but it is important to include different types of people.

For example, Scott McCall.

He is a Latino leading character who comes from a single parent household and has his own personalized internal struggles.

Most leading roles I notice in a lot of fanfictions are white OC's who depend on their designated love interest for everything.

Incorporate a passionate native american character! Indian or muslim character? The more the better! A strong black OC who acts tough as nails but has insecurities and doubts about themselves that they won't let anyone know of? Great! An LGBTQ + POC male character? Awesome!

There are many different cultures with many different practices!! Try to incorporate them into your story ! TV shows and books could ALWAYS use more diverse characters with different backgrounds.

Also, please try to steer away from harmful stereotypes!! Just because they may seem positive (i.e. asians being smart), there is no such thing as non-harmful stereotypes! I've even caught myself using stereotypes with a POC character and quickly had to reassess and realize that it was a common misconception/stereotype placed upon that ethnicity, even if it was "positive".

Please look back at your work and think about it.

Just don't forget to do research or confide in someone of that ethnicity or can relate to the experience in order to write it accurately!

- paris (@leavethecities )