staying true to yourself as a writer

OKAY, HERE IS SOMETHING THAT I'VE NOTICED HAPPENS A LOT

You start a new book because you've had this amazing idea you're extremely excited about, and you believe with all of your heart that others will love it, too.

And you're not wrong !!  I'm sure hundreds of people absolutely loved your idea and plot, but, sometimes, it's just not enough for them.

They begin to comment things like: this is so great, but if she ends up dating Isaac before Stiles I'm exiting !  I came here for a Stiles fic, not an Isaac fic !  Or other dumb critiques that are basically just saying you should change the way you wrote your plot because that's not what they want to happen.

Now you're more insecure in you're original plot, right ?  You're beginning to think, "well, if these few people think that, a whole lot of other people probably think that, too"

You'll probably start veering off of your original path in order to please the readers and leave them wanting to continue reading.

That's the first mistake you'll make when writing your fic.

You shouldn't write what you think people want to read in order to get reads, votes, and comments. I can't guarantee you that your original plot will get thousands of reads, and I can't guarantee you won't get comments of people telling you what they think should happen next, but I can guarantee that by the time you finish your book and hit that completed button, you'll be proud of what you wrote.

If you stay true to yourself and your plot, in the end it won't matter if everyone was / wasn't pleased with the outcome as long as you stayed true to your writing and put out something you're proud to say came from you.

Overall, don't let random people from the internet make you doubt yourself and your work.

IF YOU HAVE A TEEN WOLF FIC THAT YOU ARE PROUD OF, PLEASE COMMENT IT DOWN BELOW. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A FANFIC OF THE WEEK AND WOULD LOVE TO READ YOURS !

—emma, sunshinesiwicki