Chapter 9-Akatsuki's Fall

"I fear for your safety," said Konan, as she stared at Pein, and saw him looking back with uncaring eyes that at one point had been filled with emotion filled life.

"Your fear is noted," said Pein while ignoring the look Konan was giving him.

"And you are ignoring it," said Konan calmly.

"Ulquiorra Schiffer cannot kill me Konan. Itachi, Kisame, and the others may have fallen. But I won't," said Pein simply.

"What about me?" said Konan seeing him look at her for a second.

"What about you?" said Pein turning and seeing Konan stiffen as if struck before turning away to leave.

"You hurt her feelings," said Madara appearing suddenly thanks to his eyes.

"Should I care?" said Pein before turning to face Madara.

"No. Though I am a bit surprised that you don't considering the history between the two of you have together," said Madara seeing Pein's eyes narrow.

"That was a different person. A different man in a different life all together. Konan is just a member of this organization and serves her purpose well. Whether she lives after this even ends is not my concern. Why she thinks it would be I don't know and I don't care," said Pein walking away from Madara.

'She won't. I'll make sure of that,' thought Madara knowing that when this was over, all the other members of the Akatsuki were dead, and the Uchiha was the ruler of the entire world.

As it was always meant to be.

(With Konan)

Konan had collapsed onto the ground the moment she entered her private chambers, shut the door, and cried for the first time in many years since the death of Yahiko after being betrayed by Hanzo. Nagato had become Pein after that, using the Rinnegan to become the "God" that he was now, and taking control of Ame from Hanzo to become its new ruler.

'Only now he's become the very thing we fought against,' thought Konan sadly knowing that everything they were doing now was hypocritical and knew Yahiko would frown upon them for falling this far.

"Your sadness is pathetic," said Ulquiorra appearing in front of Konan via Garganta.

"Come to gloat before killing me? You wouldn't be the first to try," said Konan glaring at the Arrancar before her.

"I don't gloat. I wouldn't know how," said Ulquiorra, as he walked towards the woman until she was within arm's reach, and saw the defiant look in her eyes.

"You're going to kill me no matter what I do. All I can do now is strike first and go down fighting!" said Konan, as she turned her hand into a razor sharp sword, and stabbed it at Ulquiorra's body with the tip of the weapon hitting the man's pale torso.

And doing nothing to hurt him.

"I have been watching you for some time now Konan. In fact, I have been watching all of the remaining Akatsuki members, and found that out of all of them...you are the only one that deserves mercy," said Ulquiorra, who wasn't even intimidated by her weapon, and simply knocked it away with the paper flying everywhere while her hand returned to normal.

"I don't want any of your mercy or your pity. Kill me. Kill me and be done with it," said Konan, as her eyes now closed, and awaited for the strike from the former Espada that would cut her down to pieces.

"You would turn down an offer to join me and leave for Kumo? Or Mist? Why?" said Ulquiorra seeing the woman just glare at him.

"Because despite everything that has happened, I joined this organization out of love for someone precious to me, and if I left now...it would insulting to his spirit," said Konan, as she saw Ulquiorra looking at her with that emotionless stare, and it infuriated the woman to no end.