Chapter 1: Bluer Than Mine

Life. Such a delicate concept, yet impossible to understand. For every soul, is a different life. Like the fresh snowflakes of a winter snow, no two are ever the same. Although, when animals come together in such a way, they choose to share their lives with one another. They tell stories, they share laughs, they shed tears, and their lives become better together then they ever were alone. Yet another delicate concept, but even more impossible to understand...

Love.

The light from the window pooled onto the cold sterile floor. The monitor gave a steady 'beep beep beep', that echoed throughout the room. The area was kept heated, yet there was still a chill to be run up an animal's spine upon being inside its confinement. Hospitals never seem to give off a pleasant vibe, no matter how hard they try to. But it didn't really matter since he was still asleep.

The doors slid open as Skye Winter walked into the main lobby, holding a bag of food and a bouquet of flowers. She gave a wave to the nurse at the front desk.

"Here to see Jack again, Ms. Winter?" She asked.

Skye smiled. "Don't ya know? Is he awake yet?"

"He has been. It's been a challenge to make him stay though. Maybe you can talk some sense into him."

"I'll do my best." Skye said with a one-finger salute.

The Zootopia Central Hospital was by far the most advanced in their care. They had seen just about any freak accident one could possibly imagine and more. Patients who went in were normally out in less than a week, or even less than an hour feeling better. Not for him though. It's not often that an animal loses their paw.

The door creaked and Skye pushed it the rest of the way open with her back. The vixen walks quietly inside with a small sway of her tail. She looked around the wall, and there he was. Sitting there in the bed under the sheets, laptop on his thighs, and his right arm wrapped in a thick cast. The hare looked up from the screen of his computer, and gave a tiny smirk.

"I thought you were supposed to be resting?" Skye said with a sarcastic undertone. On the surface, she was serious, but she already knew it wouldn't be likely he would be asleep.

"It's a bit hard to sleep when you aren't supposed to move your arm." Jack replied softly.

"Well, I hope you can put your work aside for right now. I bought some sandwiches and cacti chips."

Jack closed the laptop and set it aside. Skye reached into the bag and pulled out a radish and sprouts sandwich and handed it to him. She pulled out one of the bag of chips, opened it, and handed it to him.

Jack looked down at the bag. His face became blank. "Damn, I feel so useless now."

"I know it sucks, Jack. But me and the team are working on something right now. Until then, you just have to let that arm heal. And don't be reckless and stupid and leave early." Skye said with a giggle.

"No promises, Winter." Jack said with a wink.

"Don't make me cuff you to the bed."

"Yeah, I think I've had enough with cuffs for right now." Jack said in a dull tone.

Being the agent he had been raised to be, Jack never had much of a touch with emotions. It would be a hassle to even get him to smirk. Except for Skye. While it did used to be hard, she is the only mammal that can get Jack to feel anything more than anything. Well, that was actually a lie. Jack always had more feelings for her. He just repressed them all. His years of working as an agent had cost him from enjoying the simpler things in life; like love, for instance.

But all of that had changed now. Now that he had what he always wanted. To have her, to have Skye as his wife. And of course, that was all she wanted too. Probably even more than him. Okay, scratch that. She definitely wanted it more than him.

"What am I gonna do with you?" Skye asked with half lidded eyes.

"Why not start with a kiss?" Jack replied quickly.

The vixen gave a small chuckle before she leaned in and gently pressed her lips into his. She closed her eyes fully, enjoying the kiss a bit more before pulling back with a smile. Jack laid his head back on the pillow, also wearing a smile.

"That smile suits you. You should wear it more often." Skye said with a wink.

"I'll do my best."

The two gazed at each other for a while, just looking into each other's eyes. Nothing could distract them from each other. That's when Skye's expression fell from her face.

Jack obviously took notice. "What is it?"

"Your eyes..."

Jack paused, confused for a moment. "What about them?"

"They're bluer than mine."

"Are they?"

"Yeah. They're a lot lighter than mine when you're relaxed."

Jack smiled again. "Well, you're the only reason sometimes that I can relax. Because sometimes it feels like you and me are the only smart animals anymore."

Skye gave out a belly laugh, and Jack just sat there, staring at her. Observing everything about her. 'So, this is what I've been missing,' he thought to himself. It had been years since he had ever had any feelings towards females, and for good reason. Aa reason he has chosen to keep to himself for god knew how long. He enjoyed it. His years of being an agent had drown out most of his ability to show emotion, but he truly did enjoy it. He couldn't explain it. Maybe it was those flawless sky blue eyes. Maybe it was her peachy pale fur in the summer, and fresh snow colored coat in the winter. Maybe it was even the fact that she may have possibly been more crazy than him. Whatever it was, he knew one thing for certain.

He was madly in love with that beautiful arctic fox. And he was the luckiest jackrabbit to have her as his wife.

The two indulge in each other until the sun stained the sky in peach and cotton candy hues. With a final kiss, Skye said her goodbyes and left, reassuring that she would be back tomorrow. Skye checked her phone as she stepped out of the elevator and headed to the main doors. "We need you at the shop." it read from an unlisted number. Just as she read it, another one sent through. "We're almost done. We just need your magic mechanic touch."

She gave a chuckle as she replied with a simple. "Be there in 15."

As she stepped in the car and started her car engine, Skye adjusted the rear view mirror and glanced into herself. She gave another chuckle as she thought to herself...

"I still can't believe his eyes are bluer than mine..."

Eyo!

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Be sure to leave a vote and follow my channel if you did.

Also be sure to check out my Deviantart, Neptune-the-Fennec

And my YouTube Channel: November The Bunny

Stay Tuned!

~November