Chapter 6: Opening Up

"I'll have a Manehattan." Skye told the bartender.

"And another glass for you, sir?" Asked the bartender. Jack nodded. As the bartender poured the whiskey, Jack spoke up. "Leave the bottle."

Skye gave a dirty look as he threw it back as fast as it was poured. "Think you had enough?"

"Speak for yourself." Jack muttered as he poured himself yet another third. Skye glared at him, but he paid no attention to her. "You're welcome, by the way."

"Oh, for what?"

"For getting you out of that bar."

"I was handling myself just fine." She sneered.

"Right, that's why you were ready to cut open that lynx." Jack argued. "You're going to lose your badge and end up in jail if you keep letting your drunken emotions decide your actions." He said as he swirled his drink around. The ice made a gentle clinking sound as it collided with the sides of the glass.

"What do you want from me, Jack?"

"Perhaps a simple thank you."

Skye snickered. She rolled her eyes as she spoke in a slurred tongue. "Oooh, my apologies. Yes, thank you so much, my love." She said, putting a little extra emphasis on love. Jack grunted at the sound of it. Skye looked offended. "What is it with you and not liking the word, love?" The anger started rising in her voice.

"Come on, I can't believe mammals spend so much time on something so pointless. Love... It's nothing but hurtful, and we all know it. Most just choose to not believe it, but it only makes it hurt worse when they experience the sad reality for themselves."

"Will you stop being so small-minded?"

"Says the one trying to drink away her problems. You can't change my mind. I've lived here long enough to know the bitter truth that no one else has the guts to grasp. There is no such thing as lasting love in this town. And to answer your question. No. I don't think of having kids."

"How dare you say something like that! Just because you've never known love, doesn't mean that it's a dead philosophy! I refuse to be criticized for it!"

"Well, sorry to pour you a heavy dose of atmosphere, fox, but I really could care less about your 'plans' with me. Do you honestly think I want to settle down with a bunch of kids when I'm at the top of my game? Because, whoopsie! I don't, and I don't need a drunk fox's problems on my shoulders."

Skye's voice filled with animosity as she slammed her fist on the counter. "You wanna know the fucking truth?! It's not like that at all! I want to have love and kids so badly, but in case you forgot, I'm fucking sterile and can't have kids. So yeah, I guess there may not be such thing as lasting love, but I can at least have hope and believe it doesn't have to be like that, because apparently you don't! I thought you loved me. Do you have any idea what it feels like to want to have a family?!" Her voice cracked as she shouted.

Jack went silent. He just looked at her with dark, yet terribly miserable eyes. He looked away to avoid being seen like this. An agent is supposed to be tough, disciplined. He shouldn't be almost tearing up in front of all things, a bunny. She leaned in closer, trying to look back at him, but to no avail.

"Yes..." He finally replied.

The way he said it sent a shiver down her spine. "Of course I know what it feels like...because I had one before..."