9

"Hey, Keith," Alex said from behind me. I gulped and turned to face him with a forced smile.

"Hi, Alex. Wassup?" I asked and pursed my lips. He shrugged and shoved his hands in his pockets. My eyes landed on his shirtless body causing my throat to run dry.

"Nothing, really, " He replied. I nodded and looked away.

"Look, I'm sorry for the way I acted last week. I was just...shocked. I thought you being gay was just a rumour and they only made it up cause you dress kinda funnily, " He muttered and said the last part underneath his breath.

"My dressing is perfect!" I exclaimed and blushed before crossing my arms.

"It does look kinda gay, dude. Admit it, " He said and chuckled. I shrugged and nodded feeling a smile creep on my face.

"I would hug you, but your sister's watching me weirdly." I looked over at Chloe to see her staring at us in shock and awe. I rolled my eyes before looking at Alex.

"We gotta get going, but I guess I'll see you later."

He nodded before backing away with a smile. I walked over to Chloe and sighed in relief.

"That went well, " She said and tilted her head to the side with a small smile. I nodded and stuffed my hands in my pocket.

After a few minutes of walking, we finally arrived home.

"Mom, we're back," I called out before shutting the door behind me.

"Ok, sweetie." She replied as I walked into the living room while Chloe ran up the stairs. I wonder what's so good about staying in your room for so long. But, I can't judge cause I've been stuck in mine for over a week.

"You remember when you said he'd come back?" I asked Mom as I sat down next to her.

"Who?" She asked.

"Alex," I replied.

"Oh, right. Did he talk to you?" I nodded and rest my head on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I was kinda shocked. He apologized though. I felt bad because he didn't know that I was gay and my dad just blurted it out like that. It's all my fault. If I didn't come out, dad would have been here with us."

Smack!

"Ow!" I shrieked and pulled back from my mom in shock before rubbing my forehead.

"What was that for?!" I yelled and glared at her.

"Don't ever think that your father's behaviour is your fault." She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Your father was always a dickhead, so I wasn't surprised when he walked out on us. I always prepared for it so that it wouldn't have that much of an effect." Escaped her lips along with a sigh.

"If you knew something like that would happen, why the hell did you marry him?" I placed my hand down on my lap and looked at her with a questioning look.

"I don't know, I was stubborn. Mom always told me to watch out for him and that I shouldn't marry him, but I was deeply in love back then, so I didn't listen."

I facepalmed and shook my head at her.

"Mom, really?" She shrugged and chuckled.

"They always said love makes you do crazy stuff, and I guess your father walking out on us was one of them. He loved us but his ego got the best of him. He can't express any sort of emotions besides hate and anger now, " She explained.

"You know why he keeps coming back?" She asked and I shook my head at her.

"He loves and misses us. If he didn't, he would never come back or even decide to call for no reason." My heart broke at what she was saying.

"Oh Lord," I mumbled and sighed before running my hand through my hair.

"So, the only way he could express his love to me is by beating me up in my own house?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes before raising her hand to smack me again but I backed away from her.

"Don't you dare," I said in a warning tone. She placed her hand down before averting her eyes to her lap. I sighed in relief a little and relax.

Smack!
Smack!

"Ow, jeez mom!" I yelled and rubbed my forehead again. Her shoulders were moving in an up and down motion signalling that she was silently laughing.

"Sorry, I couldn't help it, " She said between giggles. I rolled my eyes before pouting.

"You're mean."

She just shrugged at me before pressing her lips on my cheek, leaving a kiss. I smiled and rest my head on her shoulder.

I don't know what I'd do without this woman.

•••

"Chloe, the balloon is green."

"No, it isn't! Can't you see that's blue?"

"That's green! It's a light blueish-green!"

"I know my colours, very well, and that's a blue balloon."

I facepalmed before getting off of the floor. I went into the kitchen before pulling my mom back into the living room.

"How am I part of this?" She asked.

"Is that a green balloon or a blue balloon?" I asked, ignoring her question.

"Green." She replied and brushed me off of her. I stuck my tongue out at Chloe, who pouted before rolling her eyes.

"Whatever, " She mumbled in defeat.

I sat back down before resuming the video we were watching.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

"Mom, go get it! I'm busy." I called out to her. She gritted her teeth before going towards the door. I smiled at her before facing the iPod again.

Chittering and chattering were heard before the door finally closed.

"Who was it?" I asked not looking up.

"It would be nice if you actually looked up to see who it was." My eye twitched at the sound of Alex's voice.

"Oh Lord," I mumbled and looked at him.

"Hey, I thought you'd be happy to see me." He stated and sat down next to me. I must admit, I was.

"Hi." I faked a beam. He smiled in return, showing off the whitest teeth I've ever seen.

"What are you guys watching?" He asked.

"Try not to laugh videos," Chloe replied. He nodded and looked at me.

"Can I speak to you?" He asked.

"I'm right here," I replied.

"I mean, privately, " He said and looked down. I sighed before getting up.

"Sure, my room?" He nodded and smiled before getting up.