Chapter 32

Authors note: So second to last chapter. enjoy guys. After this is done I will be working on Dragon fire and ruin. And some of my other stories fan fiction and original.

Beginning of a New end

She leaned against the tree watching the bustling gates. Could it have only been last night? Did she really leave her mate to awaken alone? Was she truly that uncertain of the path set before her? Yes was the answer to all those questions. She huffed in agitation.

How could she have let this happen? They would never work. He was an elf king and she was from a royal line of skin changers that were in hiding. Dear Valar how? Was she to marry him now stay in his palace and abandon her people? She could never do so.

She was so concerned for her thoughts she barely registered the large bear shifter on the branch beside her. He found it quite amusing that he could sneak up on her for the first time in their entire lives.

And her face was priceless. . .

*************************************

Meanwhile. . .

Thranduil was nervous. He the elven king of Mirkwood was nervous as a 16 year old human boy ready to . . . well he wouldn't go there. He drummed his fingers along the hand rest of his throne constantly. Odd how he normally sat through the long enduring meetings with stoic stillness.

Navea had left! Little surprising wench had fled sometime in the twilight of a new day. Was she nervous?! Was she regretting what she had done?!

'Oh Valar please don't let her be angry! My stables and deer herds can't take another decimation. Nor my palace anymore burn marks!!' he thought swallowing thickly.

Her wrath was now infamous in his kingdom. How did skin changer females react after something like last night? Did they go off by themselves. Why did she leave!?

His thoughts were in turmoil as he then listened to all the grievances his court and subjects had. He made a point to pay attention to these. But the tension and awkwardness in his loomed over his thoughts swelling with every passing moment.

After the long morning of meeting and council he sat heavily in his empty throne room. He saw the bear come up to stand before him.

"You asked for an audience elvish king?" beorns heavy accented voice growled.

"Yes I was curious as to if you could enlighten me on skin changer culture. Since relations with the feline asking changers have become much improved I would like to learn of my neighbor's .Would you assist me in this?" he explained

'Tell me of matings. . . marriage . . . and children' he thought adamantly

"Yes. I could endeavor to help you."

An hour later. . .

After years it seemed of meaningless information on all subjects except the one he wanted to know of he perked up when beorne sighed heavily.

"My king?" Thranduil shook himself to concentrate once more on the skin changer.

"What was that again Mellon?" He said almost sheepishly.

"Do you expect the royal female of the line of Akzuna to marry you abandon her people? Or perhaps move them here against their wish and integrate them into this culture, a culture not their own?" He said voice echoing through the halls. "Would you ask it of her?"

"I would not. She may do as she wishes so long as she remains a companion and well . . . Not just a companion but something deeper. A mate perhaps. "

"So you would forgo marrying her and having full rein over her. To give her freedom so long as she returned to you as she has done for the longest of years now?" He asked incredulously.

"I would do so if that is what she wishes" his surety was like the ageless eternity that he faced before him.

"Then my blessing to you. Good day elf king " he moved to walk away.

" one more thing. Navea isn't mad by any chance"

"She is mad" he trailed of watching the horror that his words evoked surely plastered over his face. " only madly in love with you. And indescribably happy no doubt" he motioned just behind him.

There he saw her hands clasped against her mouth tears in her eyes. Standing so delicately on the antlers of his throne.

"Navea why do you weep love?" He asked almost heartbroken at her tears.

In a single graceful leap she was in his arms kissing his lips. And he realized her tears were not of sadness.

"You would give me freedom but take nothing for yourself?" She asked.

"When at their best elves are truly giving. Besides you have given me plenty love. " he traced his thumb over her cheek. Loving how she leaned into his touch.

" we may mate in the way of my people. I know you may never marry again but we may be bound by some form of a marriage. " she backtracked slightly " well only if you wish. "

" I do my love. Though try to me often or at least allow me to visit you as I wish. That is all I ask of you" she nodded smiling as bright as any sun.

He leaned into her hair burrowing his face to whisper in her ear. " we haven't Christened the king bed little one" he pulled back his mischievous smile mirroring hers.

'Did she just purr?' He thought chuckling darkly at the lovely morsel in his arms.

Not many ventured near the kings chambers that day or any other when lady Navea was in attendance. Many whispered king Thranduil had taken the lovely shifter as a mistress. Some said she taught him devious arts. Though whatever the rumor the king reputation was ruined. Which brought a smile to his ladies face. The prince legolas was only ever seen to smile in serene fondness when he garnered the letter from his father.

The two would be hand fasted another year in tradition to her people. Until the next mating season came. Then the rains would come. It was a special time for the couple. It was said that it was a favorite experience for both when the rains came after mating season. The dashes through the rains made by kin and couple alike.

None would consider this a normal match. An ancient king not married to the lady he considered wife! A noble queen a consort to a king from another kingdom! An elf taking on another mate! A skin hanger coming from the shadows! A dragon and a leopard laying down in peace together ! Oh the tales from the far north were far fetched indeed. Only one grey clad figure truly believed in the tales from the far north. He would smile widely when hearing the rumors and give a boisterous laugh.

Through all complexities, cultural and social taboos, rules broken. All that saw the two knew. With no doubt. That two loved each other any greater than the dragon lord and his huntress. Never was a love such as this seen told about or read ever again. Well until the time of Arwen the evenstar. That is long after our tale though. So with parting words I bid you farewell.

A lovers such as these may never be burned.

Oh while the earth was young and desires churned.

Haunting whispers mark the very place.

Where the elf and leopard knew each other's face.

Beware a love like this my dear loved friends.

Takes brave hearts to begin and it never truly ends

From birth to death and light and dark.

True love chooses only the bravest of hearts.

I bid you a final remorseful goodbye

Beware the leopard in the forest and the dragon of the sky!

Attention: epilogue follows.