9. Cops and...Kanimas? Pt 1

"You look horrible." Deputy Parrish said with a big grin.

"Thanks." Jackson said with a sarcastic nod. The two were meeting up for lunch to iron out some of their unresolved issues now that Jordan was out of the hospital and on the move again.

"What's wrong?"

"Just this non stop migraine for like 3 days now. I don't even get migraines." Jackson rubbed his temples.

"I had one like that. Did you get hit in the head with a pan as well?"

"If I had do you think I could get a job on the force with you?"

"Such a jerk." Parrish responded jokingly.

"Only sometimes."

"Like when you quit school without telling your best friend. It's ok, I'm not bitter."

"You don't seem it at all." Jackson said grabbing his drink and taking a gulp.

"Well I took it personal. Was it because..."

"No it wasn't because of that...it was just..." Jackson sighed. "I was drowning. I hated the work. It wasn't me and yet I felt like I was the only person who felt like that."

Parrish raised an eyebrow.

"I've never felt dumb in my life until I started college. I would study half the night and still fail. So I said screw it and I goofed off with other guys in the frat and I just got into a hole. I had more work than I could do. I had no motivation. So I just left."

"And you couldn't tell me that? Instead you act like an asshole?"

"Jordan you wouldn't get it. You are smart without trying. You always had your shit together. I failed. I didn't want anyone to know. I guess I thought that if I just ignored it, that it never happened..."

"Well it did. Didn't you think I'd wonder what happened to you? Or Danny? Because he missed you too."

"I know, I fucked up. I'm a fuck up. Full disclosure," Jackson's voice was heavy with emotion, "I had to move back home because I owe some not so nice people money, I have no job, no college education, and I have no money to my name. My brothers are supporting me. I'm a fuck up. Ok?"

"Jax that doesn't make you a fuck up. It means you're in a rut." Jordan was nothing but sincere. "And if you don't like being supported by your brothers why don't you get a crappy job till you figure out what you want?"

"I guess. I've just been preoccupied lately."

"With what?"

Jackson had demon hunting on the tip of his tongue but luckily blurted out, "Renovating. We are fixing up the manor and since I don't have the job I have to let the workmen in and out."

Jordan knew that wasn't the whole truth. "I see."

"But what about you? You haven't told me about being a cop." Jackson changed the subject.

The meal continued nicely. Both guys easily laughing at each other's stories. The two frat brothers had fallen back into an easy camaraderie.