Chapter 13: Hunter and Danny

I crutch my way as fast as I can to the locker room. I haven't been to the track in a week! Since I can go to school, I'm finally able to go. I'm literally am dying to do anything track related: stretch, jog, walk, anything.

I finally make it to the locker rooms, only to see I'm not the first one there. I see Gauge, and Hunter, and Danny; I keep looking around to see I'm the last of the boys track team to the locker room. "Hey Matt!" Hunter smiles, pulling over his shirt.

Hunter's a pretty average guy. Brown eyes, 6 foot, black hair in a flat top, and a face girls say is 'adorable'. Danny's just short. He's 5 foot, blue-green eyes, and brown hair. Despite his size, he's pretty built, and he needs to be if he throws shot put.

Danny turns, seeing I've arrived. "Everybody its Matt!" Everybody starts yelling, seeing I've returned. I smile, making my way to my locker beside Gauge. I lean my crutches against the lockers and start changing. "Glad to see you back in track." He says, putting on his running shoes. "I cannot wait to do anything today Gauge. I've been sitting and resting for days and not once have my parents even let me attempt physical exercise; I need this."

"Matt," I glance to the side to see Hunter and Danny. "Nice to finally see you again!" Hunter says, making us do our handshake. "Nice to see you too man." I say. Danny just nods, and I return it. "Matt, what you did this morning with that one guy is all over Snapchat!" Matt tells me. Yeah that was John's plan, to make us go public. "Really?" I act shocked.

"Yeah. Hey you didn't tell us you were gay." He states. "Yeah well I only like that guy I was making out with in the hallway. I haven't liked any other boy." I explain. "Good, cause I don't need you checking me out while we're running." Danny snaps. I start tying my shoes, about to ask why he's so angry, but Danny leaves without saying a word.

"What happened to Danny?" I ask Hunter. Hunter looks down, leaning against the opposing lockers. "Well ..." "He doesn't like gays." Gauge tells me. He doesn't like gays? Why does he have a reason to hate a gay person? And even so I'm not gay, at least, not very much. "So he's going to ignore me because I am? That doesn't seem right. Danny doesn't normally discriminate against anybody. There has to be a reason."

Hunter shrugs and Gauge says, "Maybe."

We all leave as soon as I finish timing my shoes. I try explaining what happened to Hunter while I was out, but there was too much. I get to the party when we hear coach's whistle to get to the track. I follow Gauge and Hunter as fast as I can. I only get to the entrance gate when I see them start their laps.

"Matt! It's been awhile!" Coach walks up to me, staring at my leg. "It definitely looks better since the last time I saw it." He says happily. He's saying everything almost too cheery. You know, like 'what are you hiding?' cheery.

"You not telling my something coach?" I ask, knowing there's something wrong.

He sighs. "Matt I can't let you practice. I've received word from your doctor that you can only stretch and practice walking, that's it."

Of freaking course, I still can't run. At the very least I can walk. That's a step up from keeping sweaty crutches underneath you all day. "Ok coach I'll be on the concrete stretching then." I tell him, acting as if what he said didn't affect me. I walk off the track onto the concrete square right next to it and start stretching out.

It might have been a good idea to do this before, because now everywhere is sore. I can barely touch my toes without wincing. Once I'm done doing my stretches and walk, I look over to see Hunter, Gauge and Danny.

I smile at them. Hunter and Gauge smile back, but Danny looks away. Seriously did I do something? I think maybe I made him mad because of something else, but what? Or maybe he doesn't like a guy liking another guy, like Gauge said. Whatever it is, I want to fix it so we can be friends again.

I, eventually, get up and crutch my way down to the water bottles at the beginning of the track. Eventually, Danny's going to need a drink, and when he does, I'm solving whatever's going on. I stand next to the water, watching them run their 400s. After the first one, I see Gauge and Danny walk towards me. I grab a water and casually start drinking it, acting like I just got there.

"Thirsty Matt?" Gauge asks. "I may not be running, but it's still hot." I tell him. I look at Danny, who just grabs a bottle and starts drinking. "Danny-"

"What do you want from me?" He grunts.

"I just uh- I want to know why your so passive aggressive around me? Did I do something?" I ask, going straight to the point.

He puts the water back and looks me in the eyes. "I don't like gays."

"Why not?" I press.

Danny turns around, facing the track. "'Cause I got raped by one."