Chapter 18: The Truth

Me and John walk into my house. We took Victoria back home and came back to my house because my Dad is leaving today. "There you two are." My Mom says from the kitchen. "Where have y'all been?"

"John's place. We actually just made his mom realize that John's doing better than ever. Also, he can go with me to the dance tomorrow." I explain.

"Dance? Since when?" She asks, dicing tomatoes.

"Since a few weeks ago. I never told you?" I ask. She shrugs. "Yo no sé. Maybe I just forgot."

"Forgot what honey?" My Dad walks from around the corner into the kitchen. He's pulling along with him his luggage. "Apparently, these two are going to a dance." My Mom explains. My Dad nods, letting go of his luggage and walking behind me and John. He locks us into his hug. "I can't be any prouder for you two right now." He says. "I could of never came out and publicly shown that relationship."

"Thanks Mr. Hernandez, but ... could you let go? My shoulders are cracking." John breathes. My Dad releases us and we immediately gasp for air. My Dad laughs walking back over to my Mom. "Where's Joshua?" My Dad asks, grabbing his luggage again.

"Over at Tracy's house, again." My Mom states.

"You need to watch him. He's been spending a lot of time over at that girls house." I warn my parents. "I don't we have to worry actually. From what her Mom has told me, they just play video games every time he's over." Mom says.

"Anyway, I gotta go. My flight leaves in 2 hours." My Dad announces. He kisses my Mom, then grabs his luggage, and waves goodbye to me and John at the door. Once he leaves, it gets awkwardly silent.

"Need any help cooking?" I ask my Mom. She shakes her head side to side, slicing the next vegetable. "Why don't we go to your room?" John suggest. I nod and we leave the kitchen.

I plop on my bed and John lands next to me. I turn to my closet and see the outfit we picked out at Dillard's hanging on the doorknob. I breathe out heavily. I hope all goes right tomorrow. I don't mean like fairytale dancing or whatever, I mean I hope no one makes fun of us or says something about us. That would just ruin it.

"You Okay?" John asks, putting his hand on mine.

"Yeah, I'm just thinking about the dance."

He shifts and I can tell he's looking at the clothes too. "Don't worry. It'll be fantastic; you, me, Victoria, Gauge, and a wild school. What could be better?" He jokes. I turn around smiling. I kiss him softly. He kisses me back, but I get caught with a light shining in my eye. "What is it?" John asks.

"I don't know, something on my desk." I say, getting up.

I walk over and see the baby food from forever ago is reflecting the light from the light in my room. I never did ask John what he used this for. "What is it Matt?" John asks.

I pick it up and show John instead of explaining. His face whites almost immediately. "Where did you get that?" He asks, almost scared.

"I found it under my pillow when you were having a hangover." I tell. "Why? You make it sound like this is important."

John looks at bottle before looking down. "It's nothing."

"John, don't lie to me." I say. "Why is this important?"

John doesn't answer; he just sits there avoiding eye contact. I look at the bottle again. Chunky, pale, throw up looking ...

"Did you fake being hungover?" I ask him. He nods.

But why? Wait, does that mean he was not drunk before, like at the party before? "Wait a second, did you ever drink at Christian's party?" I ask. He shakes his head no.

"So let me get this straight. You faked being drunk, to kiss me and get me to like you?" I ask.

"No ... that was never meant to happen-"

"What was supposed to happen then? What were you getting out of kissing me and confusing me?! Your own pleasure?!" I yell in anger. "Matt-"

"Don't you Matt me, did you do it for your own benefit?" I question him, wanting to know the truth.

"I did it because I liked you!" He tells me.

I can't believe it. He did it all out of will just because he wanted to. "You faked all that ... just so we could get to this?" I ask.

"No Matt I really do like you and care for you. It wasn't just for pleasure. I just couldn't tell you." He explains. I throw the bottle at the trash can. "You couldn't tell me?! I knew you were gay before John. I knew you had a secret, why couldn't you tell me you liked me? What could I have done?"

"You could have left me!" He yells.

That sentence made me shudder. "I did not want to lose my best friend to my own feelings, so I just held it in, well, until the party." He explains. "I just wanted a kiss. I didn't know you would actually like it. You were supposedly straight until then."

I keep walk to my closet and back. I can't stand John for what he did, but at the same time, I want to forgive him.

"I'm sorry for what I did." John says, sitting up on my bed.

"I can't ... decide over what to say." I say aloud, hoping it would help me. John sits quietly, avoiding my eyes. I look at him genuinely. He looks like he's sorry, and I'm sure he is. But that doesn't necessarily make what he did right. But in the end, we're all human right?

I take a seat next to him, hugging him. He's tearing up over our argument. "I'm so sorry. I never meant to confuse or hurt or abuse you. I was being stupid." He says, shaky-voiced.

"I forgive you John," I say. "but I'm still angry."

He rests his head on my shoulder. "I understand."

We sit there for a few minutes, just breathing and staring ahead of my bed. In this time, my Mom knocks on the door, which was open, and peeks her head into view. "You guy's Ok? It heard some yelling from the kitchen." My Mom tells us.

I shake my head. "We're better now Mom. I promise."

She looks unconvinced but still smiles. "Ok. Comida will be ready soon." She leaves, closing the door as she exits.

I fall back on my bed, John following my lead. "Can I lay on your chest- I mean-"

"Yes John." I respond with a slight chuckle. He slightly grins, falling on me.