Chapter 17: The Davis Household

"YOU CAN'T WHAT?!" Victoria yells.

"I can't go with y'all to the dance, my parents said." John tells us. Of course, we're in the cafeteria, where everyone around could hear Victoria's loud voice, turn to look, and not look away because of her attractiveness.

"Why not? You didn't do anything to restrict you from going!" Victoria says, still loud.

He turns his head, glancing at me before looking back at Victoria. "They found out I was dating a boy. The last thing they want was for me to be in a relationship, especially with a guy." He explains, twiddling his fork in his pasta.

"This is freaking ridiculous! Don't they won't you to be happy?!" Victoria questions.

"I guess in there own way, yeah." He answers, still avoiding her line of sight. Victoria clenches her fists, face burning red and eyebrows narrowed, making me flinch.

"If I ever see your parents I might kill them." She says, still looking enraged.

"Why don't I come over?" I ask John. "Nooooooo." He responds. "No no no no, that's the worst idea possible. They don't even know you're my boyfriend." He explains. "And? They can't punish me or restrict me from anything." I tell him.

"But they could stop you from ever seeing me again. I just got you, don't let me loose you." He says, making my heart pound louder. I pull him close, hugging him close. "I'm seeing your parents tonight, whether you want me to or not." I whisper to him.

"Okay, if you think this'll help." He says, gripping me tight.

"Can I come?" Victoria whispers, scaring me nod John half to death. "When'd you walk over here?" I ask baffled.

"Oh ya know, when you two were hugging it out like cuties. Hey, back to the question!" She states.

"Why not, nothing can be much worse than bringing a sassy, strong-minded girl to my parents." John says, turning back to the table. "Great! We'll keep y'alls relationship on the down low." She explains, walking back over to the other side of the table. I can already tell this afternoon is going to be something.

~~~~~

We pull to John's house, which I haven't been to since before breaking my leg. It's only a few houses down from mine, but it is way nicer. It's two stories, with a giant backyard, and plenty of rooms to play hide and seek.

"Wow, don't you live in luxury?" Victoria says rhetorically.

"Just don't ... be crazy." John says, leading the way up the driveway. We pass the floral patch on both sides of the walkway before making it to the door. John uses his key and we walk inside.

"I'm so jealous right now." Victoria comments, spinning in awe. John's entrance is to a grand open of stairs on either side of the hall that leads to spacious family room. To make it fit, there's an enchanting chandelier hanging above the entrance.

"Jonathan!"

We all turn, seeing John's mom rushing down the hallway. She basically runs into John, giving him a hug. "I was texting where are you? You're always supposed to text us if you're coming home late!" She yells at him.

"Mom we were just picking up my friend." He explains.

Mrs. Davis looks up at me and Victoria standing behind John. "Oh where are my manners. I'm John's mom, pleased to meet you." She says shaking Victoria's hand. "I'm Victoria."

"And you. Haven't seen you since that broken leg of yours. Getting better I see."

"You know it!" I smile.

"Anyway I must get back to work. A CEO's job is never done." She says, hurrying off.

"Wait Mrs. Davis!" Victoria stops her. Mrs. Davis stops, sighs in place, and turns around. "Yes?"

I look back at Victoria, who has no regret or second thoughts on her expression. "We wanted to know why John can't come to the dance with us?" John's mom groans tilting her head back. "You already know, you're here to persuade me to let him go. I told him, and I'm telling you, he's not going, not with a boy."

"What's wrong with a boy liking another boy?" Victoria presses. I step back between the two of them, taking a seat with John on the bottom steps of the stairs.

"Nothing's wrong with it. Heck, I gay couple works in my company." She walks towards Victoria, holding her hand up tell her to be quiet. "I am not letting him go because I feel it's not right. He is my son, and I will decide who he goes to dances with. He's lucky I let him still go to public school. You think I wanted my only child to be gay? You know how much bullying goes on to gay kids? You know how hard it is to hide a secret like that from everyone?"

Victoria stands her ground, not flinching once. "This is intense." John whispers in my ear. I nod in agreement.

"Your son is braver than you think: he publicly made it know he was gay, he's making time for his boyfriend, and he's still the amazing, brilliant valedictorian of our class. I would say he's doing so much to show who he really is." Victoria responds, smiling at the two of us.

Mrs. Davis, in shock, asks, "I this true?"

John stands up, so I follow him. "Yeah. I've come out to everyone and I haven't been bullied yet, I've got an amazing boyfriend, and I haven't dropped number one. All this you would have know if you just talked to me." He tells her.

Mrs. Davis starts getting watery eyes. "And instead of us trying to help we made it worst- oh Jonathan." She gives him a hug, pulling him close to her. "We thought we were helping by staying away. We never thought you were hurt from it." She explains.

John just holds her close, tears rolling down his cheeks. Victoria behind them is tearing up as well. "Ok Jonathan, you can go." His Mom says aloud. The three of us scream in excitement hearing those words. John grabs me and kisses me; I let him, feeling it was the perfect way to celebrate.

"I'm guess your dating my son?" Mrs. Davis walks up to us. "Yes ma'am." I tell her.

She scans me up and down, eyes moving slowly. She looks back at my eyes saying, "Don't go breaking my sons heart." "I will not." I promise.

"Good. Now, I must really get back to work. Have fun in our paradise!" She waves off, running around the corner.

"Your mom is something else." Victoria comments. "You should see my Dad. Anyway, who wants to play hide and seek?" John asks. Me and Victoria jump in excitement, answering his question. "Okay hide upstairs while I count to thirty." Victoria dashes up the stairs while I go up as fast as possible without stomping my foot.

"One ... Two ... Three ..."