12. Petrificus Totalus

Tom's POV

*****

       I sat at the head of the mahogany table, the wood shining through the dim lights of the chandeliers. There was a chalice of wine before me, untouched. I contemplated the Knights of Walpurgis, my former allegiants who had gathered with an air of both determination and fear. The Dark Mark shone like fresh ink and blood on their skin, etched deeply. I saw a few touch their arms, trying to see if it would rub off. I was almost tempted to roll my eyes. Is this what I had for followers? I needed more forces.

   I saw Abraxas Malfoy, his shoulders hunched. He looked like a kicked dog, wounded and desolate. His eyes were defeated. My eyes swiveled to each one in order: Avery, Rosier, , Dolohov, Travers, and Carrow. Knights of Walpurgis, now christened the Death-Eaters.

  I waited impatiently, my knuckles clenching unconsciously. "Did you tell her the precise time, Malfoy?"

Abraxas looked up in fear, "Ye--yes, my Lord." He bowed his head again, another sneer spreading on my face.

  I heard the click of the doors opening. The Death-Eaters who were talking silently suddenly quieted, their eyes drawn to her as if she was their newest victim.

Travers immediately sneered at her as Rosier cat called. The others Death Eaters just smirked at her appearance, clearly looking down on her. I laced my fingers together, watching what would unfold next. Adeline sat down next to me, not even showing the slightest bit of fear like the others. "Hey, Robins—" Adeline's head snapped to see Travers smirking, "Azkaban called, they want their criminal back." He conjured an illusion of a dementor with timing, the hooded eyes and the gnarled hands almost too real. He and Rosier snickered, their eyes flashing maliciously, but Adeline refused to cower. "She's so pathetic," Travers spited to the others around him who laughed, "thinking that she's on the top when she is afraid of a little whitty dementor—" He laughed heartily as Adeline crossed her arms, a sudden smirk on her lips.

"Hey, Travers—" she said as he looked at her, "I need to tell you something."

"What?" Travers asked, still mocking her.

"Kwikspell Company called," Adeline said with a smirk, "they want their Squib back."

The table quieted, some of the members choking back a coughing fit of laughter as Travers turned red with rage. Despite myself, I felt my lips twitch for a second. But it was time to start the meeting. "You have all been inducted into the Death-Eaters. These Dark Marks will activate when I call upon you, so be sure to report to me immediately when that happens. To start off this meaning, I would like to bring up the potential recruit of Lestrange."

There was a matter of assent among the Death Eaters as I continued, "It is necessary to bring the pure blooded and powerful families into our side, they control the Ministry, which means we will be able to seize power more easily. I have already started talks of negotiations and Lestrange invited us to attend his gala—a clever man as far as I am concerned."

"Why is that, my Lord?" Abraxas asked.

"He will have other Minister officials surrounding him," Adeline explained with a matter of fact tone, "Just in case we act up or try to take him against his will, he will have defense because there would be numerous witnesses, which will be disfavorable to keeping our secrecy. Isn't that right, my Lord?"

Her voice was polite but the honorific was almost scathing in its edge. I smirked, "Quite right, Robins."

"So what do we do?" Rosier asked.

"That's quite simple," I said, leaning back in my seat, "we will attend the gala, after all, Abraxas is already expected to attend because of the Malfoy pureblood name. There are also a couple of other recruits I would like you to convince who will be present: Nott, Mulciber, and Macnair. As for you, Adeline—" I focused my stare on her, smiling coldly, "you will be the one to persuade Lestrange."

Adeline raised one eyebrow. "Why not you?"

I took a sip from my wine glass before lowering the brim of the cup, my eyes flashing, "Lestrange has surrounded himself with the Ministry, his ace in the hole—" I smirked, "think of it as me playing my own hand, Robins: now, instead of being a pawn, you are now my ace in the hole."

Our eyes clashed for a moment, a split second of defiance, then Adeline lowered her head. "I accept," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Good," I said, satisfied with her answer before turning to the others with a cold smile, "the gala begins at seven o'clock tonight, I suggest you all get ready." The others nodded before bowing out, as Adeline stayed behind.

Her green eyes were narrowed. "What are you doing, trusting me suddenly?"

"And why would I not trust you?" I asked innocently, swirling the wine in the glass with one finger.

"Because you don't trust anyone," she replied readily.

I regarded her for a moment. My eyes bore into her as I spoke, "This is beyond trust, I have no other choice but to send you."

"Why?" Adeline asked, her eyebrows raised.

I looked straight at her, wiping my mouth carelessly with the back of my hand. I chose my next words carefully, "Because Lestrange is just like me. He is a man after his own power and he is far cannier than the other pathetic excuses I have for followers."

"You can't be comparing him to Voldemort—" Adeline mused, her eyes glittering coolly, "which means that you are comparing him to who you were in Hogwarts."

I turned my gaze back to my glass, looking at the reflection of her face in the glass. I stopped the liquid, the blood red wine distorting the image of her eyes. "Acute perception," I said, "and spot on, I must say. Yes, you are right. He was like Tom Riddle," my voice was blank, "which means that I am confident that he will take an interest to you."

"You want me to seduce him?" Adeline asked, crossing her arms.

My hand tightened around the wineglass imperceptibly. "You won't need to," I said, "if my observations are correct, he will be unable to resist you."

Adeline didn't say anything. After a moment, she got up before inclining her head towards me and left the room. As soon as the doors closed behind her, my hand visibly relaxed around the glass.

The haze that was around my mind seemed to lift as I shook my head several times to dispel that strange moment. My thoughts were erratic.

My plan would not fail. I was never wrong with my calculations. Lestrange would fall for her without a doubt. After all, he was just like the Tom Riddle of the past, and that meant that he would be unable to resist the dark enigma that was Adeline Robins.

Just as Tom Riddle had once did.

That stupid mistake that cost him everything.

*****

Just a quick note: Yes, Tom referring to himself as third person is not a mistake. Since he sees himself as the all powerful Voldemort, he would have seen Tom Riddle as an entirely different and much weaker persona. That being said, he indirectly confessed his love for Addie back in Hogwarts with how similar Lestrange was to him XD
Sorry I haven't been able to update for so long, I still have annoying midterms but I decided to bring you this update because of just how awesome you are. I hoped you liked it, though sorry for the low quality chapter, it was on short notice :D