18. Crucio

Author's Note: I am warning you. Yes, I am warning you. This will be one hell of a ride. Like, if you thought the whole Addie being Grindelwald's daughter thing was bad, rest assured that this will be much much worse. Significantly worse and an emotional rollercoaster. If you don't have your tissues (used to asphyxiate yourself after reading—JK don't actually do this) I suggest you go get them. Oh,.,and also....this will be in Tom's point of view. *inserts screaming*
Oh and also,,,,like it's title—Crucio—it would probably torture you with a cliffhanger. Have fun 👍🤓

******
Tom Riddle's POV:

  I had always despised the human race—weak and rotten to the core without a true idea of what power really was. So often was power confused with the allure of money, to sway minds, to blackmail...

True power was the strength to take control of one's own life, to do whatever one wanted without anyone interfering.

  I had seized that power—I had taken control by creating my Horcruxes. I had gone further than any other wizard had dared to dream....

I felt life course through me, the allure of darkness intoxicating me throughout my veins. My chest held a torrent of darkness, power, anger—and in the midst of it all, Adeline Robins had returned to sway me from my path. I had only proven myself to be stronger by rejecting her—I despised the weakness in her that made her cling to the foolish past. Yet I was still wary. The past had an unconscious effect on me, one that nearly shattered me.

  It was this that I thought as I made my way towards the designated spot, masterfully disguising my presence as I arrived. I waited. I was not blind so much that I didn't know that Dumbledore had received a steady flow of information. A thorn to my side—resulting in the failure of some plans that needed to be rectified immediately. Lestrange had given me the information circulating among the Aurors of a meeting that would take place—I had not been oblivious to his hostility towards Adeline, but as one of my followers, I expected her to overcome such minor interferences.

  I waited, allowing the shadows to encase me, shadows merging with my own. I couldn't be more invisible. I saw a hooded figure emerge before glancing at the face to see Roger Davies. He looked around furtively before he waited, unusually twitchy as his foot tapped against the ground. I saw a second figure, robed yet distinctly feminine as a slender hand reached out to Rogers and handed him something that looked like a folded piece of parchment. Rogers nodded before exchanging a few words with the woman before she turned.

  I caught a glimpse of red hair, bright in the moonlight before she waved her wand, Apparating.

  Suspicion. I shook my head. Nothing was confirmed. I turned, waving my own wand as my feet thudded back in the grounds of the mansion. I walked swiftly to her room, rapping upon her door. I half expected no answer.

  I heard a rustle of movement as the door opened and I saw Adeline's face poke through the doorway. Her face showed what looked like genuine surprise. "My Lord?"

  "May I come in?" I asked with chipped politeness, my eyes flitting over her white chemise that she wore, her hair disheveled.

  She nodded as she stepped back, as I saw a half opened book on the bed covers, the blankets moved around and clearly used. "What were you doing?" I asked.

  "Oh—" she shrugged, "just reading some of Merlin's texts, the usual—" her voice was light and easy, her eyes boring straight into mine. Even I couldn't tell if it was a truth or a lie. "What's wrong?" I heard her ask.

  "Oh—nothing," I said, my eyes flitting to the book. If it was an alibi, then it was flawless to the touch.

I turned to the crackling fire, my hands folded behind my back as I stared at the flames. My mind flitted to different corners, fluid and swift. Could it have been another red head? Of course it could have been, yet my stomach gave an unpleasant turn. I tried to think it was nothing, yet the itch wouldn't fade. "Adeline—"my voice was quiet, "have you been reading this whole night instead of working on the mission I briefed you on?"