15. Impervius

Up above is the opera song, just in case you guys want to hear it :D It's Sempre Libera.
It's by Maria Callas, my bae Opera diva 😍

*****

Addie's POV

*****

   I opened my eyes as our feet thudded on the ground. The air was different on my skin, a smooth breeze ruffling my clothes. I looked to see a looming structure, the architecture pleasing to the eye. I saw richly dressed people: women in fantastically trimmed dresses and men holding their hands; dainty hands encased by gloves. I heard a foreign language being spoken, able to pick out a few words. Italian.
Tom was silent beside me as I took in the place around me, my eyes catching a dropped program. La Traviata, casting Maria Callas. She was hailed as La Divina in Italian, and in the role of Violetta, she was more than well known.
"La Scala," I said, as I looked up at Tom, "why did you take us here? Are we here to murder someone? Blackmail a minister? Smuggle forbidden—"
I saw Tom roll his eyes, suddenly reminding me of what he was like back in Hogwarts, "Is that what you immediately think of when you see me?"
"I never pegged you for the opera loving type," I commented, feeling as if a huge weight was lifted off my chest, "but I guess you continuously surprise me."
"I'm not," he answered flatly, "but I know you are."
"How did you know, I never told you—"
"So it is true."
I looked at him, raising my eyebrow. "You did that to me last time, you know," I said quietly, "when we were looking at the constellations—you guessed that I had nightmares."
He didn't say anything, neither denying nor admitting that he remembered. "But seriously, how did you know?" I asked.
"I made an intelligent calculation based on your character."
"So you guessed."
"No, I made an informed hypothesis based on my knowledge of you."
"So you guessed."
"Stop calling it—"
"So you guessed."
He glared at me, for a moment, it was just like bantering back in Hogwarts, when everything wasn't this complicated as it was now. "Fine, I fucking guessed. Happy now?"
"No, I am ecstatic," I replied, as he rolled his eyes as he offered his arm and I took it.
The interior of the opera house was beautiful with carved marble and gilded gold and bright red curtains pooling with intricate gold designs. Tom took the liberty of getting us a Box, a private interior with two seats. "So, did you take me all the way out here for a date? This is very unlike you, Lord Voldemort. I didn't think you would show such favoritism among your followers."
"I took you out here because I knew you liked opera—"
"Guessed." He gave me a pointed look at my interruption.
"Say what you want, Robins," he said smoothly, "but think of this as a reward for your faithfulness. Lord Voldemort always rewards those who are faithful."
"Bullshit—" I heard the Box Keeper cough before disappearing into the shadows.
"So there is no ulterior motive?" I asked, arching my eyebrow, "are you sure you are not manipulating me like that last name you did with the dementors?"
My voice was not cold, but I saw his fingers twitch slightly with uncomfortableness. I saw it then. "Is this your way of saying that you feel guilty of what happened back there?" I asked quietly, "with the dementors and with Rogers?"
"I don't feel guilt," he said curtly.
I studied him. "Perhaps not," I said, "but I do believe that out of the whole world, I know you the best. Either way, you are trying to justify it as romantic."
I looked down at my hands. "If you don't want to tell me the truth, it's fine, just—-"
"I want you to be happy."
I looked up at him, shocked by his sudden words. He wasn't looking at me in the eye, his eyes fixed on a marble statue. "I am merciless," he admitted, "I am cold, vicious, and to my followers, I am charismatic without a hint of humanity. Perhaps you are right, perhaps I do have some humanity within me. This is my parting gift. After today, I want to close that humanity."
Horcruxes.
No.
"You promised—" I began, "you said—"
"I know what I said," he murmured, "but I am going to have to break it. There is still the bit of Tom Riddle that is weak inside of me, after today, it shall be no more. I must be strong. I need more power. Consider this an apology, the last time I can show you anything involving romance before I make my Horcruxes. After that, I doubt anything between us will be relevant."
I looked at him, horror filling my veins. Was this his way of saying farewell? But I knew better. He saw Tom Riddle as a separate persona, but he had just admitted that he wanted to be rid of that person. Did that mean—
I saw his dark blue eyes, tremulous. Tom Riddle. So, I wasn't with Lord Voldemort now, I was with Tom Riddle. Tom Riddle—his inner persona had subtly forced him to make this move—it was a plea to reach out to me, it was telling me to prevent him from doing this. With what? With love? I stared at my lap, slight tears burning the edge of my vision. I wasn't going to give him up. Not now. Not ever.
"Remember our original agreement?" He asked coolly, "three months. Take my offer or leave. I will keep this promise."
"You expect me to leave?"
"I expect that whatever I do or say will not sway your decision," he said in a matter of fact tone.
I saw the theater suddenly quieting as Tom turned away, his mouth sealed.
La Traviata started with the hum of the instruments before the opening scene arrived. Violetta, a famous Paris courtesan, was celebrating her recovery from her illness and the guests were milling around in cream and colors. I saw Maria Callas, her voice not pretty and sweet, but something more that made her seem majestic. Her voice was filled with an unusual sound, beautiful, but I couldn't understand why. It made my heart twitch.
The party was lively and I enjoyed the music, as Alfredo, the young bourgeois who took a liking to Violetta started the famous Brindisi, or drinking song. The soprano and tenor soared in their voices, mingling and twirling gaily.
The last scene of Act I. Violetta was alone. Alfredo had confessed his love for her, and the woman who never lingered on one lover, a woman longing to be free forever from the constraints of marriage had felt indecision tear her to the core. A plea from the young man, a true love plea. She started by singing È strano and continuing to the famous aria of La Traviata: Sempre Libéra.
Violetta sang, her voice soaring and melding within my soul, her emotion flooding the opera house.