Tip 9: Don't Assume the World Revolves Around You

"Yo Adams!" yelled a voice behind me. I quickened my steps, but it seemed the person wasn't giving up as his feet pounded on the tarmac of the school car park.

"Kayla!" smiled Brett, as he swung in front of me. I sighed, and hiked my bag farther up my shoulder. It was the day after my introduction to his cousin, and I had cancelled our tutoring session for today—partly because we were now ahead of schedule, partly because I needed a break, and mostly because I didn't want to see his evil cousin again.

"What do you want, Hollister?" I groaned. "I was so looking forward to a day in which I didn't have to see your face."

"We both know you need a daily dose of this chiselled jaw," he bragged, fingers brushing his chin. I mock-shivered, and he smirked.

"In response to your earlier question, since we don't have a session today, I wanted us to do something else to fill the time."

"Contrary to popular belief, I actually do have a life outside tutoring you, Brett. And I'd really appreciate it if you left me alone today," I said, pushing past him and to the bus stop. Val hadn't been to school that day, she had a doctor's appointment.

Brett caught my arm and pulled me back. He pushed a calloused hand through his blonde hair and expelled a breath. "Kayla, I'm sorry if I made it seem like the only thing you have to do is tutor me. I just really like spending time with you; you're pretty cool—when you're not yelling at me over a Maths problem."

My lips quirked up slightly in spite of myself. Brett caught my semi-smile, and grinned back.

"So, if you don't mind, do you want to go out with me?" he asked.

The smile melted off my face, and he quickly back-pedalled.

"No, no! Not like on a date! Just the two of us going--" I lifted an eyebrow "—I mean, we should just—you know what, never mind." He looked so ruffled I couldn't help but laugh.

"Where do you want us to go, Hollister?"

"To the orphanage," he replied, and I couldn't help the look of surprise that popped onto my face.

"I help out there sometimes, when I'm not busy. Not big stuff, usually just reading to the children. It's really fun, and the staff could always use a helping hand," he explained. "So, will you come? It's not a date."

"Sure," I replied, following Brett to his car.

~|~|~

"Brett!"

All the children seemed ecstatic to see him, knocking one another down in order to get to him and hug him first.

"Hey, guys!" smiled Brett, kneeling in order to hug them all back. "How're you all doing!"

Responses of "Great!" and "Good!" resounded in the large room. The worker who had led us into the playroom smiled, and mouthed, "Good luck!" to us, before leaving and gently shutting the door behind her.

It was then that the children noticed me. Their interested gazes locked on me, and the room was silent as they analysed me. Surprisingly enough, I was nervous. Finally, one boy with carrot-colored hair spoke.

"Are you Brett's girlfriend?" he asked.

"No!" we both replied, but it was too late. The idea had been planted in their childish minds, had taken root, and was sprouting faster than Jack's beanstalk. The children crowded around me, pulling at my jeans, my coat, my scarf.

"When did you start dating?" asked one little girl, with wispy blonde hair tucked behind protruding red ears.

"Have you kissed yet?" asked another boy, with jet black hair, and freckled cheeks. My cheeks grew redder by the second, until Brett stepped in.