Chapter Two: A Christmas Ball (part 2)

"Welcome parents and honored guests. I am Madame Polley and I am the headmistress of this school. After a quick hello to your loved ones, please make your way into the ballroom."

Thank goodness that I didn't make it down too early.

Squeals of delight erupted in the foyer. Vi smiled as she saw little ones being picked up and spun around by their parents while the older girls chattered away about school and asking about the latest gossip. At the same time, a pang of agony struck her in the diaphragm as she watched the families walked out of the room, their arms draped lovingly over their children. She tried to keep herself from rocking back and forth on her feet too much.

Where are you grandfather?

"Miss Genevieve, come with me to the dining room before you're late for dinner," replied a stern voice.

Vi looked at Madame Polley. "Aren't we going to wait for the boys and their headmaster to arrive before we start?"

Madame Polley shook her head. "The headmaster told me to serve the food on time and not to wait up for them." She leaned in closer to Vi's ear. "Your grandfather told me to keep a close eye on you this evening if he arrived late. Now come with me."

"Yes Madame Polley." She wanted to ask her more, but she knew better than to make the headmistress angry. Why is grandfather asking her to keep an eye on me until he arrives?

The hired kitchen staff were just entering the ballroom with trays full of steaming plates when the two of them took their seats. The round tables were placed along the sides of the ballroom, with a single candle and red rose petals serving as the centerpiece on each one. In the far right corner of the room, there was a large Christmas tree. Red, green, and gold streamers were hooked and draped on the walls and high ceiling. The wreaths hanging on the walls made the room almost smell like a real forest. Vi could not remember the last time the ballroom had looked as grand as it did tonight.

After some time had past, a creaking sound followed by a loud bang startled Vi, causing some of the vegetables on her fork to fall to the floor. Madame Polley gave her a stern gaze while Vi's cheeks were turning a bright shade of pink. The sound of boots could be heard over the hushed chatter. A group of boys entered the room, some with looks of embarrassment on their faces while others eyed the food or one of the girls in excitement. Vi could feel at least one pair of eyes staring in her direction. She took a deep breath before she lifted her eyes and met her grandfather's dark eyes.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please excuse our tardiness. I am Mister Dubois and I take full responsibility for our delay," he said with a bow and a flourish of his black cloak. He banged a staff on the wooden floor two times and all of the boys stood upright before bowing to the other guests, their expressions more serious. Once the boys sat down at the remaining tables, the others resumed their conversations.

Vi had nearly forgotten how tall her grandfather was due to how little she had seen him lately. Standing over six and a half feet tall, he was taller than any other person that Vi had met.

I wonder if other men in London are as tall as him.

When the guests finished their meals, many of them moved toward the open area to mingle while servants started clearing the tables. Men and women in fancy black attire also came out of an adjacent door, carrying out cases. Once enough of the tables were cleared away, the orchestra set up their instruments and music stands.

"Thank you," said Vi to the young female servant who was picking up her empty plate.

"You're welcome miss." She gave Vi a smile before walking away from the table.