Chapter Eleven: Maks

The shouting faded away entirely after a couple of seconds. Vi couldn't see anything but blue smoke in every direction; the strange thing was that the smoke did not cause her to cough or her eyes to water. She squeezed the rodent's hand a little harder, the only thing keeping her heartbeat at a normal rate.

This is crazy. I am putting my faith in a stranger and questioning my grandfather's motives. I wish my mother were still alive to help me sort through my confusing thoughts.

A far off breeze kissed her face and new colors blurred in front of her eyes. Vi closed her eyes as the swirling hues made her dizzy.

"Are you feeling alright, Vi?"

She opened her eyes and saw the rodent looking at her with worry etched in his eyes.

"I was feeling dizzy, that's all, but I thank you for being concerned about me."

As the remaining dizziness wore off, she was shocked and entranced by the silver, emerald, and sapphire trees. Vi turned her gaze back to the rodent, her mouth slightly open. "Where are we?"

"In a hidden part of the forest. I needed to bring you somewhere where we could talk privately. The castle is no longer safe for you. I should have warned you about the side effects of this form of travel. I'm sorry."

In an effort to keep herself from getting too anxious, she folded her arms across her chest. "You don't need to apologize. All I want for now is answers."

"Fair enough." He scratched behind one of his large ears. "I suppose I should start by saying that my reasons for saving you had nothing to do with your magic. In fact, I had no idea you had magical powers until we both arrived back here. I did, however, save you partly because of your title; I was...hired to save you because of your royal blood, but not for the reasons you may think." He rubbed his other ear, but he did it a lot more slowly. "When I was hired to find you and return you home, I didn't expect you to be so..." He shook his head. "You're not like the others who have seen my face."

"The other figures in black cloaks. Are they like you?"

"No," he answered automatically. "They are not like me, but we all serve the same person."

Vi moved her foot back and forth in uneasiness. "Why was the wooden man chasing us?"

The rodent averted his gaze away from Vi. "He serves someone who would use your status and powers for their own purposes."

She saw him clenching his paws against his side as he spoke, but she also heard a hint of sadness in his voice. "Does that person want me dead? Are you simply trying to spare my feelings?" she asked, her voice coming out quiet and hoarse.

"No!" he said in a panic. "I mean this person...fairy, actually...will do whatever it takes to gain control of the kingdom, whether that means using you as a puppet they can control or marry you off to someone who is loyal to them and their cause." He slowly raised his head until he was looking at Vi again. His arms stretched out toward hers, but it fell quickly. "We should get moving. There are others who know how to get here and I have to take you to...the fairy who hired me. They will be able to tell you how to use your powers to protect yourself from our enemies."

"May I ask you one question before we go?"

"Of course. You are a princess, after all."

"Why did you drop your arm just now?"

He bit his lower lip; from his facial expression, it was almost like he was trying not to blush. "I was going to offer you my hand, but..."

Vi felt a small smile tugging on her face, but she didn't let it show. I don't want him to think that I was going to laugh at his confession. Still, what is this strange sensation in my stomach? She extended her hand to him.

His mouth hung open for a couple of second as he stared at her outstretched hand. Then he gently grabbed her hand.

"Sir...you haven't told me your name yet," she said as he began leading her through the trees.

"Everyone calls me Mouse King," he mumbled.

She scrunched her nose. "I don't like that name. May I call you Maks instead?"

Vi almost toppled into him as he stopped abruptly. When he looked at her, his eyes seemed more glass-like. A noise escaped from his mouth before he cleared his throat. "Maks will be fine."