Chapter Nine: An Unexpected Visitor

"How did you find this place?" asked Vi.

"That is not the correct way to greet your grandfather. Care to rephrase your question?" His voice was in an icy tone that was unfamiliar to Vi; the only other time he had spoken with any coldness had been at the Christmas Ball.

"It is good to see you again Grandfather," she replied in a monotone voice. Some unknown voice or presence nudged the corner of her mind. It can't be true. He wouldn't lie to me about my mother or my past...would he?  Vi mentally blocked her ears, afraid to know the answer to her unspoken question.

"That's better. Now, tell me, are you alright Genevieve? Has anyone tried to hurt you?"

"No," she responded without thinking. "Everyone has been kind to me."

A hand took hers and squeezed it gently. In her peripheral vision, Vi saw Silvia standing even closer to her.

Thank you Silvia.

Her grandfather narrowed his gaze and cleared his throat as he looked at the fairies in the room. Without uttering a sound, the fairies bowed or curtsied to him; however, Vi noticed that none of them had bowed or curtsied to him in the same way they had done it for her. It had been more...respectful to her; she couldn't explain it any other way.

His expression became more somber. "I heard about my daughter's death as soon as I arrived in Slatkovila. Has the assassin been found yet?"

Did he say 'daughter'? Is he a fairy too?

"We are working on it," said the captain. "We have a couple of suspects already."

"Then why isn't my granddaughter being protected by your best men?" He stood up. "Guards, take my granddaughter to her room and lock the door. She is not to leave her room until the assassin has been captured."

Nobody moved; some of them fidgeted while others looked at one another, like they wanted to communicate without saying a word.

Why is everyone acting so strange?

"My daughter's death was a terrible loss for this kingdom, which is why I am ordering you to do whatever it takes to ensure Princess Genevieve's safety. Unless you would rather have me throw you in the dungeon for defying your king."

The captain's shoulders dropped and he leaned closer to his men. Six of the guards, including the captain, began walking over to Vi.

Is it just my imagination or are some of them dragging their feet?

"Come Princess. The king is right. You need to be protected until the killer is found and captured," said the captain. In a lower voice, he added, "I'm sorry Princess Vi. We wish there was another way."

"It's alright. He is trying to keep me safe, that's all."

Silvia and the other fairy each gave her a sad smile as Vi turned to follow the guards out of the room.

They were almost at the bottom of the staircase when the guards suddenly made a sharp turn; it happened so quickly that the shock and Vi's large skirt caused her to step on the bottom of her dress and fall on the staircase.

"Ow."

"Are you alright Princess?" asked the captain as he pulled her to her feet.

"I'm alright," she said with wince; she rubbed where she had landed. That will probably leave a mark, even though I can't tell if there is any swelling.

The guards exchanged a strange look, nodded briefly, then continued to lead her down a passageway.

"Where are you taking me? My room is upstairs."

"We know where you room is, Princess, but first we need to take you somewhere else."

"And where is that?" she asked, attempting to hide the tremor in her voice.

"To the dungeon."

Word count: 627