Chapter Three: Fire!

Sharp stabs of pain in her stomach woke up Vi. Sweat dripped down her forehead. She groaned and sat up.

Why do I feel like I just got punched in the stomach by an elephant? Perhaps a warm glass of milk will help me feel better.

She put on her slippers and silk robe. Vi walked around in the dark until she found a candle and a match. The stairs creaked softly as she made her way downstairs. At the end of the banister, Vi noticed a small box wrapped in red paper and a golden bow that seemed to radiate its own little glow. Hastening her footsteps, she examined the box more closely; on the top of the box sat a tiny card with a single word written in bright green.

Genevieve.

Her curiosity got the better of her as she gingerly unwrapped the gift. Inside, there was a silver chain with a snowflake pendant; shiny blue crystals were placed all over the cold, silver pendant.

Who sent this to me?

Vi picked up the card again and turned it over. What had once been blank was now covered with gold ink. The words read: This pendant will protect you from those who wish you harm. Wear it always, my darling. Love, mother.

The room began to spin, almost causing Vi's knees to buckle. She took in deep breaths through her nose to calm herself down.

My mother? How can this be? I was told that she abandoned me when I was a child, that she was far away and was never going to return.

Vi glanced up and down the hall. Who left this gift for me?

With trembling hands, Vi placed the necklace around her neck. A strange odor reached her nostrils, yet it didn't take Vi long to recognize the smell. Clouds of smoke were coming underneath the door leading into the ballroom. Unaware of what she was doing, her feet took her toward the door and she burst into the room.

The Christmas tree engulfed in red and orange flames. Near the tree stood a group of hooded figures with torches in their hands. They did not appear to notice Vi's presence in the room.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked between coughs. Through her blurry vision, she saw them all looking at her. Their hoods were too low for her to see any of their faces.

Bang!

More strange figures entered from the kitchen. They were wearing crimson hoods and carrying rifles.

"Genevieve!"

Just as she turned her head toward the cry, someone grabbed her from behind. She let out a scream, dropping her candle on the floor with a rattle. Vi tried to get out of her assailant's grasp. "Let me go!"

Her grandfather barreled through the door with a handkerchief over his mouth and nose. "Let her go now. She has nothing to do with this!"

Vi's captor did not say a word as they continued to pull her backwards.

She let out a high pitched sound when her grandfather drew out a sword. A coughing fit commenced as more smoke filled her lungs.

Does anyone else know about the fire? Will they get out safely?

Before Vi knew what had happened, she fell to the floor. After the shock wore off, she looked behind her and saw the two groups of hooded figures figures fighting one another; a small group of them were only a few feet away from her. A stinging sensation rose all over the palms of her hands and knees. She slowly got to her feet and ran over to where her grandfather had been standing. Unfortunately, there were several pairs of fighters blocking her path. Her slippers made it difficult for her to keep up her pace and dodge the weapons at the same time. Vi was almost to him when strong arms wrapped themselves around her waist.