6

Raegan

Leo, Laurel and I were walking in the woods with the dogs. Normally that wouldn't be the best thing to keep a 6 year old happy with but Laurel was simple and easy to entertain. She loved the nature and exploring new places.

"Look at this tree! It's huge!" Laurel gasped as she stared and pointed at a random tree that was a little taller than the others around it. "Wow!" Leo exclaimed, trying to sound as excited as her. A small smile came onto my lips seeing Laurel happy now. But that soon was swiped off when I remembered that she wouldn't be that happy anymore when she knows what happened.

My phone began to ring in the back pocket of my jeans. I fished it out and looked at the caller ID, hoping it would be Gina with more good news. But it was only Jake. I fell back from Leo and Laurel and accepted the call.

"Hey." I greeted. "Hi. Are you okay? Are there any news?" He questioned. "I'm as okay as I can be right now. And the only news is that David seems to be stable now. Mom and Gina went to the hospital to see him. I'm with Leo and Laurel." I explained. "Laur doesn't know yet. We're keeping her busy." I added with a sigh. "If you guys need anything please call." Jake said. "I will." I assured him. "I have a meeting now but I'll talk to you later." He told me. "Okay. Thanks Jake." I replied. "No problem. Bye Rae." He said. "Bye." I mumbled and hung up.

Just when I caught up to my brother and niece again my phone rang again. This time it was Gina calling. With I sigh I lifted the phone to my ears. "It's time Rae. Can you bring Laurel to the hospital?" Gina said. "Yeah. We'll be there soon." I replied. "Okay. Bye." "Bye." I put my phone back into my jean pocket and stepped next to Leo. "Gina wants us to take her to the hospital now." I said quietly so Laurel wouldn't hear. "Let's go then." Leo replied.

"Come on Laur. Your Mom called. We gotta take you to her now. Okay?" I said to the little girl. "Okay!I'm so excited to see Oli!" She grinned widely. That struck my heart and the tears came back and pooled my eyes. Leo and I shared a sad look. "Let's go back to the car.." I trailed off and whistled for Ky and Shep to come back so I could out their leashes back on.

-

My Mom, Leo and I sat in the waiting area of the hospital while Gina took Laurel to David's room to explain everything. "Is he awake?" Leo asked Mom. "Yeah but he's in pain." She answered. "I would love to get my hands onto the guy that rammed into them." I muttered. "Don't talk like that." My mother sighed. "I will because what he did was inconsiderate and reckless. As a grown man you should be clever enough to know that you don't drink and drive. He killed a baby and almost killed a father. He doesn't deserve forgiveness. He should be locked up in jail for the rest of his life." I rambled in anger. "I agree." Leo mumbled while staring down at his hands. Mom just sighed, knowing that I was kind of right.

"What's gonna happen now?" Leo spoke up after a few minutes of silence. "We all help your sister and David get through this. We'll be there for them no matter what. We'll hold the most beautiful funeral for Olivia and we will do anything and everything we can." Mom replied. "I know Rae, you probably can't stay that long-" I cut my mother off. "I'm going to stay as long as I need. LA can wait and if there is anything important I'll just fly there for a day or something." I explained. My Mom shot me a small smile. "Family first." I added, giving her a smile back.

"How will Laurel take it?" I wondered, not being able to imagine what it must be lile for her. "Not good. She'll be devastated. She loved Olivia with everything she had." Leo guessed. "I think it's going to take her some time to understand." Mom added.

"I hate this. I should come home for happy occasions..not this.." I sighed, leaning back in my seat and putting my head against the wall behind me. "Not everything in life is always happy." Mom commented. "Yeah. I have realized that." I muttered, my mind wandering back to Landon. He is not who I should be thinking about at that moment but I couldn't help it. He and his actions were almost imprinted into my mind and I was unable to let go.

I started looking around the hospital, remembering all of the times I had to be in one in my lifetime. I despised hospitals. The smell, the people, the vibes. "I hate hospitals." I mentioned. "Who can blame you?" Leo replied. Mom interrupted the conversation as she sprung out of her seat.

I looked to where she was looking and saw Laurel come running down a hallway, towards us. Gina was only a bit behind her, trying to stop her. I stood up to and called to her. "Laur! Come here baby." Her eyes found me and she took a turn, running towards me. I crouched down and picked her up in my arms after she crashed into them. Little tears were running down her face and she was sobbing uncontrollably. I squeezed her tightly but gently. "M-Mommy said Ol-Oli i-i-is gone." She sobbed. I sighed and took a few steps backwards and sat back down in the chair I was in before, still holding Laurel in my arms.

"Oli is in heaven now Laur. She's watching over you." I said softly, rubbing her back. I glanced up at my family who all watched with glassy eyes as I comforted the little girl. "W-Why?" Laurel cried. It broke my heart. Just an hour ago she was so happy. "She just wasn't meant to be with us anymore. God had other plans for her." I replied. I wasn't that religious but I knew Gina and David tried to raise Laurel a little religiously. They didn't force her into anything but they went to church every sunday and stuff like that. "S-so she's with God?" Laurel asked,pulling away from to look at my face. I nodded, reaching up to whip some of her tears away. "I bet Olivia is up there." I added. "But I miss her. I want her back." And so she began sobbing again and cried into my shoulder. I sighed, fought my own tears back and rubbed her back.

"You guys can go see David. I'll calm her down and then come there too." I told my siblings and Mom. The three nodded. Gina stepped forward and kissed Laurel's head, whispering some loving words into her ear before leaving with Mom and Leo to David's room.

"It will be okay Laur. Olivia is still with you..in your heart." I told her, trying to calm her down while I held her.

I just hoped this nightmare would be over soon..
_______________________________________
Twitter
Raegan Jesson
@raeganjesson

I will be inactive for a little while due to personal emergencies. I hope you understand.