Late Nights & Karaoke

(unedited)

"how do you know my name?" I said, my hands still covering my eyes.

"uhhhhh... because it's me, Zion" he said.

I peeked through my fingers and I felt my cheeks burn. His dreads hung in front of his eyes, water droplets dripping onto his shoulders and sliding down his toned abs.

I choked on air and had a coughing fit. Zion laughed and walked back into the washroom, leaving the door open. I waited until I stopped coughing then began dragging my suitcase towards the unoccupied bed. His side of the room was mostly navy blue, with posters of music artists. I collapsed on my bed face first.

"somebody's tired" Zion said, closing the door behind him. I groaned into the pillow in responds. I flipped onto my back and watched him unpack the rest of his bag. He glanced over at me and raised his eyebrow.

I smiled awkwardly and got up to unpack my bag in my closet.

*thirty minutes later*

I stretched and got up. I closed my closet door and turned around. Zion had a pair of headsets on and bobbed his head to the music. I grabbed a new pair of jeans and a camo hoodie an went to change in the washroom.

I slipped on my clothe and tied up my hair in a pony. I quickly brushed my teeth and turned to open the door before I heard voices outside.

"get up, bro. A bunch of guys are waiting to see you in the caf. Plus Aaliyah isn't there yet, And I know you got the hots for her, you gotta make an impression" A familiar voice said out side.

"since when were you so good at telling if someone has a crush or not, Ed?" Zion answered.

"Aw, c'mon. We all saw you checking her out at the airport. I bet she likes you too" Edwin said, laughter in his voice.

"why don't you ask her yourself?" Zion said, and I decided that was my cue to get out of the washroom.

Edwin was leaning against the door because the minute I opened it, he fell in. He looked up at me in confusion.

"what are you doing here?" He said, glancing between me and Zion. A smile formed on his face.

"oooohhhh, I get it" he said, winking at me and Zion.

I playfully whacked the back of his head, "no, you don't. We're roommates, ya dork" I giggled.

"I can tell this is gonna be an interesting year" Edwin said, reaching for my hand. I helped him up and we both turned to look at Zion.

"you coming?" Edwin said.

"nah, I dont feel like it" Zion said, putting one earphone in.

"c'mon, Zion. At least say hi to your friends" I said.

He looked up for a second, his eyes lingering on mine and sighed.

"fine," he groaned, "but only for a bit"

I smiled and turned towards the door. Edwin held it open as I walked through. We followed Edwin down the hall to the elevators. We went up to the top floor, where Edwin explained to me that our building was the only one with a kitchen and the student hub, so it tends to have more people in it.

The elevator door dinged and slid open. I walked out and froze at the sound of loud chatter happening at the end of the hall.

Edwin put his hands on my back and pretended to have a hard time pushing my forward. I laughed nervously and started walking forward.

Zion walked with his hands in his pockets and Edwin practically skipped beside him. The room was filled with students of all ages. A bunch of girls were sitting on the couch giggling.