Monday, January 2nd

Monday, January 2nd

Humming an AC/DC song, Lexi strolled out of her room and practically skipped down the stairs. Hitting the first floor, she sauntered into the kitchen. There was her mother, pouring the same old people cereal into a bowl and brewing coffee.

"Morning mother!" Lexi chirped, skipping over to her mom and kissing her cheek before going to the fridge to grab her cup of premade coffee. Turning around, she stopped when she noticed that her mom was staring at her in disbelief.

Elizabeth looked down at her watch then back up at Lexi, "Speaking at 7:30am? Who are you and what have you done with Lexi?"

"What? I can't be ready and excited for school?" Lexi asked, grabbing a muffin and taking a bite.

"Elli really is a good influence on you." Elizabeth shook her head as she started pouring coffee into her mug, "First day back to school and she's driving you. You're actually excited. I might just fall over from all of this."

"Ha ha." Lexi laughed sarcastically while giving her mom a smile, "I'm just excited to be working on more theatre things, you know that."

"Yeah sure." Elizabeth finished her cereal and put the bowl down on the floor so Zeus could drink the milk.

Ignoring her mother's doubt, Lexi walked over to the table so she could start to get her school supplies together. There was a knock at her door and Zeus starting barking as he walked over to the door with his tail wagging. Throwing her backpack over her shoulder, Lexi walked to the door and pushed Zeus back with her foot. There was Elli, huddled in an oversized coat that she stole from Lexi the other day and a beanie pulled over her ears.

"Morning." She said, shivering. She stuck her head in the door and waved at Elizabeth, "Good Morning Elizabeth! Have a great day at work!"

"Have a great first day back!" Elizabeth smiled at the girls, "Love you, sweetie."

"Love you, mom!" Lexi grinned before grabbing her own beanie from the rack and following Elli outside. They trudged across the concrete, watching for ice. Getting in to the warm refuge of Elli's car, Lexi hummed when she felt the seat warming her butt.

She leaned over and gave Elli a kiss, "You could've just stayed in the car, ya know. It's freezing."

"And risk your mom thinking that I'm a hooligan?" Elli scoffed, "I'm better than that."

That only made Lexi roll her eyes and chuckle.

***

Coming back to school was an otherworldly experience. After everything that happened over the break, it seemed so different to be in a school setting. Lexi and Elli strolled in to the school holding hands and there was almost a traffic jam of students in the hallway. It was common knowledge that the two girls were not on the best of terms before the break. All day, people gave them side-glances full of disbelief and there were a few whispers throughout the hallways.

Lexi knew it wasn't because of the fact that they were two women holding hands. Their school was probably the most tolerant she's ever seen it in the passed year since the homecoming Royalty involved a person who identified as non-binary. Her guess was that people found it confusing that they went from at each other's throats to holding hands in a span of one break.

In their theatre class, the two girls sat next to each other along with Juliet and a few other friends. That was the end of the day and everyone got over especially since everyone was busy working on their different scenes.

Towards the end of the period, Juliet, Elli, and Lexi started talking about their scenes. Matt was no where to be found and gave Juliet a half-ass excuse of getting food poisoning. That didn't stop her from planning out all the blocking on a piece of paper.

"So y'all are doing a scene where you're Aphrodite talking to a mortal about a girl." Elli asked Juliet.

"Yep." The red head nodded, "Lexi told me about the idea to make a spin on Greek Mythology and I am so behind that."

"It's an ingenious plan, right?" Lexi grinned, stretching her arms out to go behind her head as she crossed her ankles on the chair in front of her, "Totally my idea."

"Oh shut up." Elli swatted at her arm, "You wouldn't have come up with it if I didn't help you."

Lexi just scoffed and rolled her eyes, "Sure thing, sweetheart. Don't forget that you were the one who came up with the mother-daughter scene."

Before Elli could retort anything back, the bell rung signifying the end of the school day. The girls gathered their belongings and made their way to the door. Before they could leave, however, Ms. Lemora called for Lexi to hang back for a moment.

"I'll meet you at your locker." Lexi smiled and have Elli's hand a squeeze before she went up to her teacher's desk, "You rang?"

"Indeed I did." Lemora gave her a knowing smile, "It seems that you have found that working with Ms. Grey didn't cause for the world to end?"

"Yeah, I guess you were right." Lexi nodded, "We really bonded over this. Thanks for seeing something that I didn't."

If it wouldn't have been for Lemora pairing Lexi and Elli, they most likely wouldn't have bonded enough for them to be on good terms, much less be daring each other. They would probably still be giving each other stink eyes during class and sharing Juliet like she was a child in a divorce. Maybe Lexi wasn't wrong about Lemora's secret match-maker objective. It's definitely believable now.

Lemora grinned, "I'm a teacher, it's my job. Now, go to your girlfriend."

"Aye aye, captain." Lexi saluted before heading to the door.

Before she could completely leave, Lemora called, "Oh, one more thing!" When Lexi pokes her head back in, she continued, "Don't forget that being in a relationship with someone sometimes makes things harder between you two when you're on the stage. Don't let this get in the way of our spring musical. You hear me?"

With a grin, Lexi shrugged, "Don't worry about it. Even if something goes wrong, the show must go on, right?"