Running from your fears

"I like you, Lea. A lot."

   I can feel the air getting heavy around me. I start trembling. The blood drains from my face.

   "Lea? Are you okay? What's wrong?", Colton asks. He puts his hand on mine, trying to stop the trembling.

   "I-I c-can't...", I stutter. I stand up, push Colton away. and run as fast as I can out of the cafeteria.

   *4 hours later*

   I ran to the park, a few blocks from my house. I've just been sitting on a swing on the massive playset there. Nobody has come looking for me. Not Cole, not Colton, no one. I know sure as hell my father won't come looking for me.

   I've cried more tears than I thought possible. I'm close to losing my voice from sobs. My knuckles are whiter than marshmallows, with imprints on my palms from the chain links.

   "Lea!", someone yells in the distant. My head snaps up and scans the area. "Lea! Where are you?"

   I get off the swing and run to hide behind a slide, or just run away. "Lea!"

   I end up going behind a rock wall as the voice gets louder. "Lea, please!"

   "Le-" I scream as Colton comes up from the far side of the wall. 

   "Colton, what the hell is your problem?!", I scream. "When someone runs away, it means leave me alone!"

   Colton slinks my hands into his. He pulls me close, a hug. "I'm not leaving you alone."

   I push him away. "You need to. Right now.", I hiss out.

   I run away, farther and farther.