Chapter Two

Mikael stood outside the front doors to the castle. He'd tried pushing them open, but they wouldn't budge. He glanced around, but saw no one. Perhaps he ought to just leave, he thought. Whatever madman lived here probably wasn't even worth it, anyway.

 But he had been given a challenge, hadn't he? And he had made a promise.

 As he traveled through the Romanian countryside, he'd found that people were living in fear of some monster lurking somewhere in the mountains, but it had ended badly for anyone who tried to face the creature. It was wrong, he thought, that those people should have to live in fear of a vampire (because that was obviously what it was), and he was a vampire hunter, after all.

 So, here he was now, just outside the monster's castle, the doors locked to him, and gates closed as well.

 He had just begun to wonder if he could climb up to one of the windows when he heard a creak, and looked back down to see the doors slowly opening.

 Once they were completely ajar, Mikael stepped inside. It was not a finely decorated castle on the inside. Everything here looked to be a little more plain and simple, judging by the entrance hall and long hallway ahead.

 "I'm here," he called. "Are you going to show yourself or not?"

 There was no answer. The castle was silent.

 Mikael sighed to himself, and began to walk towards the stairs. This was getting ridiculous. The vampire who lived here couldn't even be bothered to show himself. And he suggested that Mikael was a coward.

 At the foot of the stairs, Mikael thought he saw a light coming from up above.

 "Is someone there?" he called. He began to climb the stairs, trying to figure out where the light was coming from. But however far up he went, the light didn't seem to get any closer.

 After climbing what like endless amounts of stairs, he found himself in a dark corridor. But somewhere down the hall, he thought he saw the light again, in front of a door. He came to the door and stood outside it, silently debating whether or not he should open it. But he slowly pushed the door open, and stared in surprise at the room he entered.

 It was a large, richly decorated bedroom. Expensive-looking curtains hung over the windows, and a grand canopy bed took up about half of one of the walls of the room. A full-length mirror stood propped up against another wall, and next to it was a large desk and chair.

 To be honest, everything in the room looked rather expensive. Or maybe it just seemed that way to Mikael; he had never slept in a room quite like this one before. He put down his bag, took off his hat and coat, and just stood there in the middle of the room, uncertain what he should do next.

~~~~~~

 Radu walked down the hall as quietly as he could, careful not to make any noise. The door to the room was open, and he peeked inside to see Mikael there, his back to the door, staring around the room. Perhaps he wasn't used to such grand décor.

 "Hello, Mikael," he said.

 The man quickly turned around. He looked as if he had been in a daze, and looked Radu up and down.

 "Were you not expecting a man of flesh and blood?" Radu asked.

 "I wasn't sure what to expect," Mikael replied. "I take it you're the vampire who has been the terror of the land?"

 "I may be, and I may not be. It would depend on who you ask that question."

 Mikael didn't look amused by that answer. "I was under the impression it was you."

 "And perhaps it is. But this is not a time to be discussing such things." He bowed. "Radu, at you service. You have already announced yourself as Mikael, I believe. Please, allow me to give you a warm welcome. It has been a very long time since this castle last saw any guests."

 Mikael looked at him skeptically. "I see. May I ask whose bedroom this is?"

 "It's yours now."

 He raised his eyebrows. "Mine?"

 "Yes. For however long you stay, of course," Radu explained. "I have not been host to any guests in a long time, and I want you to be comfortable. Please, rest and make yourself comfortable. You look as if you have been travelling nonstop for months."

 "I am always travelling without much stopping," Mikael said without any amusement in his voice.

 "Ah. That would explain it. Please, make yourself comfortable. I will tell you when supper is ready."

 Radu stepped back and closed the door. He suddenly couldn't wait until suppertime came around, and they would have no choice but to talk to each other if they didn't want to lapse into some awkward silence. He walked down the hall, thinking about the interesting conversations they could have.