Chapter Thirteen

The weeks flew by much faster than they realized. The winter months had always tended to be slow and dull for Radu, but with Mikael there it didn't seem as bad as it had before.

 Radu and Mikael understood each other, yes. But there came to be something else there as well. They respected each other, never overstepped any boundaries. Together they had settled in a comfortable existence, one each man was surprised to find himself content with.

 Radu could not help admiring Mikael a little. The supernatural world feared and loathed Klaus Mikaelson, but many of them did not have the courage to face him the way Mikael did. It was true that the hunt was mainly for his own personal revenge, but Radu saw something in his eyes changed the night he learned what Klaus had done to his family. Mikael was doing what he believed was justice, and now Radu felt that whenever it was Mikael returned to that task, it wouldn't just be for himself anymore.

 But that was a matter the two of them hardly ever discussed. They talked about many other things, but that was a conversation the two of them always avoided. In fact, they found they did have many other things to discuss. They had been to many of the same places, but Mikael had never paid such close attention to things like history, culture and architecture the way Radu had. Mikael honestly felt like he was rediscovering these places he had once visited through Radu's words.

 "You've at least been to the opera, haven't you?" Radu asked. They were both leaning out the window of the study, breathing in the crisp morning air.

 "Of course I've been to the opera," Mikael answered. "I know it's considered fashionable to be seen at the opera, but I went to listen to the music. I found it enjoyable."

 "Ah. So did I. Have you seen L'Orfeo, by Montverdi? It's a rather old one, but I saw a performance of it about seven or eight years ago."

 "I don't think I have," Mikael said.

 "Well, do you know the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, the old Greek myth?"

 "Of course. They were husband and wife. Eurydice died from a snake bite, and Orpheus ventured down to the underworld to find her. Hades told him he could bring Eurydice with him back to the land of the living as long as he didn't look back. But he did."

 Radu nodded. "Very tragic."

 They stood side by side, staring out into the distance, each one thinking about Orpheus and Eurydice's sad tale.

 "If you had the chance," Radu said, "To bring Esther back...would you?"

 Mikael looked over at him. "Wouldn't you? For Camelia?"

 Radu looked away. "I suppose I would."

 Mikael turned away from the window. "I think I'm going to go wander around for a bit. I'll give you a chance to finish your reading."

 Radu sighed inwardly as Mikael left, knowing he had made the conversation awkward by bringing up Orpheus and Eurydice. Of course each of them would bring back their dead wife if they had the chance; they wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that.

 "Mikael!" he called. "You forgot your jacket!"

 He lifted it up from the desk, and a little piece of paper fell out. Radu caught before it could reach the floor. It was a newspaper clipping, with a fairly recent date on it. But it was the photograph that caught his eye. Because one of the men in the photo was Klaus Mikaelson.

 "What is it?" Mikael came back into the room.

 "You left your jacket on my desk," Radu said, still staring at the photograph. "This fell out of it. Is it yours?"

 Mikael took the clipping, and Radu saw his eyes widen at the sight if it. He sunk down into the chair and stared at for at least half a minute. Radu wasn't sure what he ought to do, so he just stood there awkwardly, wondering what exactly this was about.

 Mikael then got up from the chair and said, "I have to leave." He hurried out of the room.

 "What?" Radu followed him to his room. "What do you mean? Leave for where?"

 "America, New Orleans. That's where this is from, so that's where he is." Mikael stuffed all of his things into his carpet bag and closed it up. "I have to go find him, and I have to kill him."

 "Right now?"

 "Yes." Mikael shut the door to the room. "This isn't just about my family anymore, or my revenge. I'm getting justice for Camelia, and the family you lost, and all of the other families he's destroyed. They'll all have justice. Radu," he placed his hand on his shoulder, "Thank you for bringing me into your home. I haven't regretted my time with you, and I never will. Once I've killed him, I'll come back. I promise. We can celebrate then, you and I. Until then, my friend."

 Mikael hurried down the stairs and out the door. Radu stood in the same spot, dumbstruck by this sudden development.

 Mikael had left. Who knew when, or even if he would return? When would they see each other again, if ever?

 Radu sat down in the top steps. He was alone again. Just like he was before.

 His time with Mikael had changed something in him. Whatever he felt towards Mikael, it had been more than just a friendship.

 And now he was simply gone.