Chapter Four

Radu was already in the dining hall that morning when Mikael arose. He had been awake for quite a while, wondering what he ought to do with his guest. He didn't even know what state the magic would be in today; Mikael may not even be able to escape, he thought.

 Eventually, he heard the sound of Mikael's footsteps in the halls. 

 "Ah, I was wondering when I would see you," Radu said with a smile. "You slept well, I hope?"

 "Very well," Mikael replied, cautiously stepping into the room. "Is this breakfast? Are you sure there is no one but us?"

 "Very sure. If I may so, you seem rather surprised by a banquet for two."

 "My wife cooked for a family of eight. This certainly would have been enough for all of us." He sat down and picked up a fork. "So, you never told me if you really are the monster killing villagers."

 "So I have not," Radu replied. "I must say, for a Norwegian, I am impressed by your fluency in Romanian. I suppose you picked up throughout your many travels?"

 Mikael looked up at him. "You talk as if this isn't my first time in Romania."

 "Is it?"

 "No, it isn't. Which makes me wonder how you know that."

 Radu shrugged. "I can only assume. A man like you must travel far and wide."

 Mikael put down his fork. "You know all about me, don't you? You have been acting as this kind, gracious host, but you're really trying to play me for a fool. I know you're the monster. There are no other vampires in these parts."

 "And why do you think that is?" Radu asked. "I murdered all of them. Too much competition for food, you see. You'll understand, surely, as you seem to have much experience with killing vampires. I know you came here with intent to murder me. I'm not stupid."

 "Well, perhaps I did. It doesn't matter, though, because you can't kill me, so you couldn't beat me, anyway."

 "But I do know that you have been hunting Klaus for centuries," Radu pointed out. "I also know that the only way to kill an Original is with a special white oak stake. Therefore, you must have one."

 "What makes you think I have it?"

 "Ah! So, you do have it with you, then. I'll bet it's up in your room now, waiting for a kill."

 Mikael smirked. "It's almost amusing that you think you stand a chance against me." He got up from his chair. "I'm leaving. I won't kill you this time, but I promise you, if I hear anymore stories about you, I will come back and give you the killing you deserve."

 "I wouldn't try to leave if I were you," Radu said calmly.

 "And why shouldn't I?"

 "Well, you see, there's a lot of magic and charms on the place. Sometimes things tend to...not work right."

 "What does that mean?" Mikael demanded.

 "It means that sometimes my magic doesn't work right."

 "You magic?" he repeated. "I thought you were a vampire."

 "I am a vampire. Let's see, it's been a few days since I last had any blood. It can be difficult to keep all your charms and enchantments in check when you're deprived of nourishment, you know."

 Mikael turned and marched out of the dining hall without another word. Radu didn't call for him to come back or go running after him. He knew what was probably going to happen, so he would have to simply sit and wait.

 It only took about ten minutes for Mikael to return and cry, "Why can't I get out the door!? What have you done?"

 "I haven't done anything," Radu answered. "Perhaps you shouldn't be so ridiculous."

 "I am the ridiculous one! You are the one that lured me in here! If you don't let me out, you'll technically be holding me hostage."

 "Well, perhaps you need to be held hostage for a while," Radu snapped, "To be taught a lesson."

 Mikael scoffed. "Oh, I'm the one who needs to learn a lesson. You're the one who goes around murdering innocent-"

 "Oh, I'm a vampire!" Radu cried. "It's what I do! Why don't you take a look at yourself? You're a cannibal, taking the blood and lives of your own kind, and you don't so much as flinch, do you?"

 Mikael dropped his bag and grabbed Radu by the throat with hands.

 "You listen to me," he said in a low, dangerous voice, "You are going to undo whatever spell you have locking me in, and you are going to let me leave. If you don't do that, I promise you I will force you to do it, and then murder you as slowly and painfully as possible."

 Radu smiled. "You grip isn't as strong as I thought it would be. How much blood have you had recently, hmm? I hear vampires are rather scarce in this part of the world." He reached up and grabbed Mikael's, succeeding in slowly pushing them away from his neck. "You see? You certainly do have a few centuries over me, but if I have a real fighting chance against you, then you, sir, are very badly off."

 Mikael glared at him furiously for a moment before picking up his bad and storming off. Radu soon heard the slamming of his door come echoing from a different part of the castle.

 Now, Radu wasn't exactly badly off. Sure, it had been four days now since the last time he'd bad any blood, and would probably have some trouble with spell casting, but he had learned to keep stores of blood in case of any emergency. He could have easily let Mikael leave, but he couldn't help wondering what would happen if the two of them were trapped in a castle together.