Chapter Ten

Radu never fell asleep that night. He changed into his nightclothes and got into bed, and then just continually stared at the ceiling, his eyes wide open.

 There a few times when he thought he heard what sounded like someone crying, somewhere within the castle. The only person it could be was Mikael. Radu hadn't thought he would cry that loudly, if he even cried at all, but perhaps he simply didn't care.

 Radu felt for Mikael.  Really, he did. His wife had been murdered by her own son, and then Mikael himself was made out to be the killer. Most of his children were still alive, but they hated him. Radu spent a lot of time thinking about that one thing, and he realized that perhaps Mikael had a point. At least his children had always loved him. Mikael's children still lived, and hated him. They would probably kill him if they ever had the chance.

 Radu lay awake in bed until the sun began to rise. Once he saw light come creeping through his window, he dragged himself out of bed and got dressed again. He was tired, he was hungry. Reliving his past had seemed to draw so much energy, and he didn't know what to do with himself.

 When Radu entered the dining hall, Mikael was already there. He was staring downwards, absently drumming his fingers on the table. Radu took his place at the head of the table. Mikael looked up, and their eyes met. When they did, they seemed to be looking at each other differently.

 Each one began to speak, their voices overlapping one another. They both stopped, and stared.

 "You can, um...you can go first," Radu said. "You're the guest, after all."

 Mikael nodded. "Of course. I'm sorry to have burdened you with my own sad story last night. We were supposed to be talking about you, and I think I might have made the situation more about me."

 "No, you don't have to apologize. I understand, and I am very sorry for what has happened to you. It is clearly not something you ever talk about. It's strange: we have only known each other a few days, and I now feel as if I've known you for years."

 "I could say the same for you," Mikael said. "At least most my children are alive. You lost everything because of him. I have watched him, hunted him. I have seen the person he has become. He must be killed, Radu."

 "I know. If I knew where he was hiding, I'd like to have a go at him myself if I thought I had a chance of killing him. So, where do you suppose he is now?"

 Mikael cast his eyes downward again. "Well. That's just it, isn't it? I have no idea he is, not in the slightest."

 "Oh. So, you have lost track of him for the moment, then."

 "It isn't 'for the moment'. It's been over two centuries since I last saw any of my children."

 "Ah." Radu leaned back in his chair. "I suppose that would prove to be an issue. Perhaps they are dead? Someone could have done Klaus in before you got the chance."

 "No, that couldn't be. I have the only white oak stake, and I mean to use it on Niklaus. But he's disappeared. And now I don't know what to do."

 Radu got up, and moved down to the chair on Mikael's left.

 "Mikael," he began, "It's clear how lost and distressed you are. Perhaps...you need rest. I know this has become your life's mission, and I understand. But you have pushed yourself too hard."

 "And what do you suggest I do?" Mikael asked.

 "Stay here. Be my guest for as long as you like. You need a rest. You're on holiday."

 Mikael looked at him skeptically. "What do you get out of it?"

 "Good company, of course. Yes, I know you don't think you're good company, but as I said, I feel as if I've known you for years already. I'd like your company, Mikael."

 "You're serious?"

 "Of course I'm serious. I already rescued you once and gave you my blood. What other proof do you want?"

 Mikael sighed and turned his head away. "You may be right. I travel constantly here and there, with very little rest. I try not to let fatigue and emotions get in my way. But it has been that way for me for nine centuries. Perhaps I need to...be on holiday, as you put it. But not for very long," he added quickly, "Because I have to find him."

 Radu smiled. "Recuperate here first. Give yourself this chance to rest in good company. You wouldn't want to leave without seeing the entire castle, would you?"