Chapter Seven

When Radu awoke, the sun was already rising high in the sky. He sat up in bed and stared at the window. He never got up this late, never.

 Radu pulled on his clothes and went racing down the stairs. Getting up this late with a guest in the house. He was honestly surprised at himself.

 It seemed he didn't have to worry, though. When he entered the dining hall, Mikael was waiting rather patiently for him.

 "To make a guest wait for their breakfast," he said, "Is probably considered rude. But after what you did for me last night, I'll ignore it."

 Radu sat down at his place at the head of the table. "I'm very sorry for being up so late. I am...usually awake much earlier than this. It certainly looks like you've been waiting quite some time for your breakfast."

  Mikael shrugged. "Not very long. Do you cook breakfast yourself, since it seems there are no servants?"

 "Oh, yes. Thanks to a little magic, I can put together a fine meal. I've had a few centuries to practice cooking meals. And how are you feeling this morning?"

 "Much better than I was yesterday. I don't know what sort of magic spells you have about the place, but I think those and the fact that I hadn't had blood for days and was rather weak...I know I tried to climb out the window. I think my foot slipped, and I couldn't get a grip again. And then I woke up in the room again, and I was paralyzed. I just...felt so..." he trailed off, as if afraid to say what was on his mind.

 "It's understandable if you were frightened," Radu said gently.

 "I wasn't frightened," Mikael replied immediately. "It's simply that I've never had to face desiccation before, and it was dreadful. And being paralyzed along with it."

 "Well, I'm very sorry you had to go through all of that. I must ask that you be a little more careful about the place from now on."

 "I understand." Mikael looked around the dining hall. "I have so many questions, and I don't even know where to begin, or if you'll even want to answer them."

 "Please, ask," Radu said. "It has been so long since I've made friendly acquaintances."

 "Is that what you think we are?" Mikael asked. "Friendly acquaintances?"

 Radu shrugged. "We have been talking to each other for the last two days, haven't we? Well, you did threaten me with murder just yesterday morning, but I rescued you last night, didn't I? I know you're thankful, I can tell from your manner. I, on the other hand, could use good company."

 Mikael scoffed. "I wouldn't say I'm good company."

 "Oh, nonsense, I like you very much."

 "Oh, you've only known me for two days. If you'd known longer, I doubt you would be saying such things."

 Despite that remark, Radu thought he saw a hint of a smile on the blond's face. He probably wasn't used to being complimented.

 "You have questions about the castle, I presume," he said.

 Mikael nodded. "It's medieval, isn't it?"

 "Yes. About seven hundred years, I believe, perhaps a little over seven hundred."

 "And I assume it is your family home?"

 "Indeed. We were quite the family."

 "A family of witches." When he didn't answer, Mikael went on, "Well, you must have been. How else would you be able to do magic?"

 "Very well," Radu said, "Since you figured it out. We were a family of witches. It was something we were forced to keep secret, however. Witch hunt and burnings and all that, you know. I suppose you've had some experience with witches?"

 Mikael lowered his eyes. "My wife was a witch."

 Radu sighed. How could he have forgotten the story? Of course his wife was a witch; that was how they all became vampires.

 "I would have thought you would have known that," Mikael remarked. "You already seem to know of my plans to murder Niklaus."

 "I believe that's rather well-known," Radu replied. "Many people within supernatural communities know your name. Well, at least I do."

 "I didn't think you left this castle often."

 "No, not often. Once or twice a year I venture into other parts of Europe, perhaps a little of Africa or Asia. But not much recently; there's been a war going on among the humans, you know. The 'Great War', they're calling it. Ridiculous stuff."

 Mikael nodded. "Probably. I did have another question. In my bedroom, in the adjoining room, there's a chests full of women's clothes. Gowns and other things from years ago. Who did they belong to?"

 Radu looked down at the table. That was exactly the question he was dreading.

 "They...they belonged to my wife," he said. "That was her favorite room of the house. She...liked the view from the window or something of the sort."

 He glanced up at Mikael. His face had changed, and he thought he saw a look of pity in the other man's eyes. No, not pity. It was more like...understanding.

 "I'm sorry if it seems like I'm badgering you." He got up from his chair. "I hope I will see you for supper."

 Radu said nothing else, made no sound as Mikael left the dining hall.