Chapter Nineteen

Demi ran out of her room to the sound of shouting coming from the hallway.

Her Aunt was yelling and Kesha, who was cowering in the doorway.

"FOR THE LASR TIME, WHERE IS DEMETRIA?" Meg screamed at her furiously.

"I-I don't know," Kesha stuttered fearfully. "I promise I don't know!"

"Don't lie to me," Meg warned dangerously. "I want that little freak gone again and I know you're hiding her!"

"I'm not, I'm not!" Kesha sobbed,her voice becoming desperate.

"THEN WHERE IS SHE?" Meg roared, lifting up her hand. She was clearly about to bring it down on Kesha.

"STOP!" Demi screamed suddenly, finally making herself known. "I'm right here!"

Meg glared at Demi for a moment before turning back to Kesha.

"You little liar," she growled. "You told me Demetria didn't sleep there last night."

"But she didn't," Kesha sobbed. "Really she didn't!"

"Liar," Meg hissed again. "Don't you ever lie to me! ESPECIALLY NOT TO PROTECT HER!"

It all happened so fast. Meg's hand moved like lightning.

The second it collided with Kesha's face she screamed and fell to the floor, clutching her cheek with both hands and crying.

"AUNTY MEG!" Demi screamed and ran towards.

Her Uncle stepped out from inside his room and quickly grabbed Demi's waste.

"Don't," he warned. "Just don't."

Demi struggled in his grip, but he was too strong for her.

"KESHA!" Demi screamed, her voice full of fear.

Kesha was now laying on the ground, curled up in a tight ball, not moving at all.

"Get out, Demetria. Get out now," Meg ordered.

"No," Demi replied defiantly. Meg was clearly taken aback, not used to being spoken back to.

"Did that sound like a question, Demetria. Because it wasn't," Meg snapped. "Now, get out."

Demi turned, grabbed her belongings, and stormed out of the house.

Regret and worry filled her features, but also anger.

Anger at her Aunt for hitting Kesha.

Anger at her Uncle for stopping her from reaching Kesha.

Anger at them both for kicking her out.

But most of all, anger at herself for abandoning Kesha...again.

Kesha opened her eyes just in time to see Demi walking out.

Panic flowed through her and she desperately reached out for Demi.

"No," she whispered. "Please. Don't leave me again..."

Tears sprang to her eyes, but she didn't let them fall. She couldn't let them fall!

"Get up," Meg snapped. "You're not going to school today."

"I'm not?" Kesha mumbled quietly.

"No, I don't trust you or Demetria not to see each other." Meg explained, spitting out Demi's name like it was dirt in her mouth.

"We won't," Kesha whispered. "She's gone. Anyway, I don't want to see her. What's the point?"

"Exactly," praised Sam. "Good girl Kesha. Now get dressed. You need your education, you're going to school."

"Yes, Daddy." Kesha mumbled and quickly scrambled to her feet. Meg scowled at her husband, but stated silent.

Meanwhile, Demi was standing outside of their house wondering what to do.

Suddenly something caught her eye. It was a hand waving at her from the next house. Samantha.

"Hey, Demi!" She said cheerfully, coming out of her house. "How are you?"

"Great, until I got kicked out of Kesha's house!" Demi grumbled. To Demi's surprise, Samantha didn't seem shocked by this.

"Unlucky," she said sympatheticly. "Do you want to come in? I'm just getting Jackie ready for school."

Demi agreed and followed her back inside.

Jackie was sitting on the living room floor, getting baby Dylan dressed.

She watched how content the little girl looked.

Why could Kesha be like that again?